• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Good weekend of work

HawkZero

NAXJA Forum User
Flushed cooling system. Replaced with new radiator hoses, new stant superstat, new radiator cap, new idler pulley, new coolant pump and new gatorback serpentine belt. Replaced coolant with a bottle of green stuff from PEAK and a bottle of distilled H20. Also replaced oil pressure sender with part from dealer. Total cost of all parts was about 250. Install went smoothly considering this was my first time doing any kind of cooling system work.

Test drove and noticed that the engine ran just under 210 on the highway and just hot enough to start the electric fan with the AC off while sitting in the drive-thru. That basically means that the temp is lower than it was on the highway and the same while sitting still.

Didn't get the belt tight enough and had a nice squeal. Fixed that, but I want to check the tension with a tool. Anybody know the NAPA part number?

Gonna take it out solo and try and get it to overheat. If not, then the family is cleared in again for another desert wheeling trip. Just remind me to pack more tools next time!

Nice, i got to do mine too.. I'll stay with my 185 stat, stays about 200 in summer off roading in the low desert...Have a great time with your family offroading, heads up, bring tools

dont really need a tension tool as long as you go with the 90deg rule. If you can bend the belt 90 degrees or more, its too loose.

^ x2 - Well worth the $15 or so they cost. I found that I'd been running my belt way too loose.

my belt squeels like a banshee...imma replace it cuz it feels all gummy and sticky...then ill get one of those

congrats on getting all that work done...

Daedalus454 said:
....I found that I'd been running my belt way too loose.
Most people do.

djblade311 said:
dont really need a tension tool as long as you go with the 90deg rule. If you can bend the belt 90 degrees or more, its too loose.
X2.

The problem most poeple have with it is two-fold. First you gotta do it on the longest span of belt, second it can't be easy to get it to 90 degrees! I've been doing it this way for ten years now and have never had belt problems.

Back