• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help with mech. fan

sherman08

NAXJA Forum User
I'v been having overheating problems lately and am suspicious of the fan clutch. Is there any way to see it the clutch is opperational while i have the fan off the vehicle. I tried giving it a spin while it was installed, it moved freely but didn't continue to spin after i stopped pushing it, from what i hear this is a "pass." but have also heard that this test is not always spot on. Since then i read something about the "roar" when started cold. I will check that when i get it re'installed, but was wondering if there is something else i should check first.

Assuming you still have an '88 :), check the condition of the coolant tank and cap. I had a problem overheating and all it ended up being was a bad cap. Would not seal and let the cooling system pressurize. Also check the tank for cracks or deforming, anything to let pressure to escape. Quick check, after the engine warms up, shut it off, wrap a rag around the upper hose ( yes, it's hot!) and give it a squeeze. Should be hard as a rock. If its not, ya got a leak somewhere!

Last edited:
Yea ok, i noticed the tank leaked so i put a pipe clamp round the cap and it tightened it down a bit... now i cant get the damn belt back on. How do you get the steering pump to move in?

Best way is to take a long 13mm socket. reach down from top next to pressure regulator on fuel rail. Loosen the two bolts from back side of power steering pump. Then loosen the nut on the very front of power steering bracket, that the adjustment bolt goes into. Dont forget to loosen the top bolt on the front of bracket also. Then turn it clockwise to tighten and counter clockwise to loosen. then when adjusted don't forget to tighten the two bolts and the nut. Good luck. It is always better to do this when the engine is cold or use mechanics gloves.. Hal

:cheers:

Back