• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Trailer Wiring Help

RSchurig356

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 XJ Classic that I am adding trailer wiring to. I have the factory 7 pin connector and I don't know what wires are for what. This is what I have and what I believe they are:

Blue - Electric Brakes
Black - Ground
Red - Aux. Power
Yellow - ?
Green - ?
Brown w/Green Tracer - ?
Brown w/Yellow Tracer - ?

I know that these are for trailer lights, but which is for left/right brake lights or for running lights? For now I just want to get at least the main four pins working meaning I don't need brakes, aux power or reverse lights working right now.

If anyone knows what wires correspond to what functions, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
typically yellow is left,green is right,and brn is marker/tail lights,some chrysler products used a seperate wire for brake and turn I dont recall if they did on jeep,however turn your key on and test the wires for function with a test light that will tell you,sounds to me like the brn with tracers are left and right marker lights but cant be 100% sure.when testing if your turn and brake are the same wire then left and right wire will light when brake applied and when a turn function si selected then it will flash and the other will remain solid,

The electrical FSM has the pin-outs. On my 91, the wires mate up to standard hitch connectors as follows:

Jeep -- function -- hitch plug
==================================
Red -- aux power (battery) -- Black
Tan -- right turn -- Green
Blue -- electric brakes -- Blue
Black -- system ground -- White
Green -- left turn -- Yellow
Brn/Red -- tail lights -- Brown
Brn/Grn -- reverse lights -- Purple

Get a 12v bulb and test the signals and whatnot

Back