• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aux fan shorted, just about burnt to the ground

Mglass1045

NAXJA Forum User
This will be my first official post so I guess I'll make it good.

On my way home from work last night in stop and go traffic. I thought I smelt something hot, kind of smelled like plastic and the majic blue smoke. If you've been around cars for a while you've probably smelled that wonderfull electrical smell. I though it was someone in front of me. Got off of the interstate and hit a red light. Sat there all of two seconds and started seeing smoke coming from under my hood. Ah crap! turned the A/C off. My apartment was just down the road, thankfully. I made it into the apartments and up a hugh hill then it just died. I was able to coast to a parking spot. Smoke started billowing out from under my hood. I made sure it was nothing too serious first before I run. Mind you I'm on crutches and have a broke leg. The smoke was just steadily coming off of the aux fan. The wiring was melted, turns out the connector was hotter than hell also. I yanked on the connector and it pulled apart. It finally stopped smoking but smelled pretty awful for a while.

I didn't check the total carnage until tonight after work. It melted the harness pretty good. I pulled the split loom apart and it's melted/burnt all the way to the firewall. I guess it goes under the dash then back out on the pass side? I'll have to see if it did damage under the dash or not. It blew, more like melted the fusable link, and melted a couple others together. That's why it died I'm guessing. I looked over a wiring diagram at work today and nothing looked like it should have cut the engine off, so I guess something shorted together. All I can say is it's pretty bad and not something I needed right now. I've got some pics of the carnage. Sorry about the long post.
100_1490.jpg

100_1488.jpg

100_1492.jpg

100_1494.jpg

Holy Crap, ive never seen something like that happen before. Sucks man. Glad it didnt take down the whole Jeep.

I'm not sure either, but I'll tell you it kinda scared the crap out of me.

I could see corrosion possibly causing a problem. She's got some miles under her belt, 242,000. But I've also seen a few brand new BMWs burn to the ground due to shorted aux fans.

I guess it's a good time to do "the best fan set up in the world", or possibly just a taurus fan setup. I just really don't want to rebuild a wiring harness. It is a 87 so could I use a harness up to 90-91? Not sure the last year of the renix systems. Any suggestions? Any aftermarket harness suppliers out there?

First off, you need (probably) need a new fan. Next, measure the coil resistance of the old fan and compare with the new fan with an ohm meter (DMM in Ohms mode). If you can do this before you buy it, even better. I would suspect the original fan has shorted coil ( resistance of original motor is quite a bit lower than new motor). If that's not it, you have a bit of searching to do...

Renix goes from 1987 -1990.

Welcome to the board!

I replaced my e-fan when I bought my 87 in May. Luckily mine was shorted, but the bearings in the motor had failed. Someone had actually unplugged it, and the A/C compressor.

I replaced the fan and plugged the compressor back in and have working A/C and e-fan ever since....

Sounds like your fan was wired to run off a cab mounded switch with no fuse. The stock fuse may have been replaced with one of much greater value or bypassed altogether. Else a fuse should have blown. That's more then a LITTLE extra resistance.
Replace fuse with one of stock rating and/or add a fuse to a custom wiring job. Replace fan, wiring as needed. The relay (if one is used) Sounds like the contacts are welded shut. That would be why you had to unplug the fan to stop the smoke. Else it should have stop with key off. If a relay is in use.

Last edited:
The jeep is fairly new to me, only had it about a month now. Everything worked fine previous to this. The fan came on when it was supposed to, A/C on/hot temps. I have no idea what took the fusable link so long to blow, it got so hot it melted a couple other fusable links also. I'm thinking that's why it cut off. A couple things shorted together. It's a mess in there right now. I guess I'll pull the harness out tonight and bring it in to work. I already have nightmares about harnesses. I'm a BMW tech and I had to put in a complete body harness in a 2007 650 convertible. That was a nightmare, I've got pics if someone wants to see a crazy harness. Wish me luck!

I couldn't find the one of it spread out. It streched out across two bays and went past the car by about ten feet. It was monsterous.
100_0512.jpg

The complete vehicle was gutted. It took approx 100 hours.
100_0513.jpg

Wow, tweak much?

haha thats crazy, the harness is ridiculous.

Presumably because Americans build Bimmers now?

Sucks on your Heep, but at least you've been through this a few times with more complex cars.

Yeah it's a pretty cool shop. We've got 22 bays, in ground hydraulic lifts, 3 flats for programming. between every tech there are two air drops, oil line, water, and two drop lights from the ceiling. Oh yeah and A/C :yelclap:

This one still german made. It's a 2007 650 convertable, it had approx 7,000 miles on it. It was in a very minor accident on the left front. There were about 14 wires that were cut, some of them were for major safety systems. I let someone with a higher pay scale make the call on how to repair it. They deemed it neccessary to replace it. Good thing was no one bothered me for about 2 weeks.

Getting ready to pull the harness out of the jeep. Hopefully it won't be too bad when I get it out.

Back