• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

91 Seats in a 99?

searchingforXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I found a decent deal on a set of power leather seats from a 91 XJ that I was thinking about putting in my 99. Does anyone know how much trouble this would be? I've been told they are not a direct bolt in.

TIA!

Just switch the cushions and you'll be in good shape.

No, that is not possible. You cannot just switch the frames. It would take considerable effort to fit those in a '99. And even then, thats the wrong direction. People are usually trying to put the newer seats into older rigs. Not the other way around.

It's really a pita to make those early seats fit.It's not worth the effort, otherwise I'd put the older Laredo seats that I have in our 95SE. I will take issue with the later seats being better though. I think it depends on the trim level. 90 Limited seats are nicer by far than 99SE seats. My 87 Laredo has much better seats than my 95 fleet model but my buddies 86 stripper has crap seats, about like my 95. You need to find some seats out of a 95 & later loaded rig, not a cheapo. And of course Grand Cherokee seats, that's the route we'll probably go on the 95

I put older Laredo seats in our '95 (former police) Sport, and it wasn't too hard. I made a template of the bottom of the base out of 1/4" plywood, and positioned it where I needed to drill. Be VERY careful, as there are things you don't need to drill close by. You will end up a few inches to the rear, just behind the 'new for '95' crossmember. Also. if you can, take a look under a '94 or older XJ, as the two outboard bolts are drilled thru the 'frame' for strength. Keep in mind that the floor was not designed to hold a seat where you will be putting it. You need to spread out the load using some sort of steel or very large washers, as the '95 and newer used the crossmember as a strong anchoring point. Plan carefully, and you can do a nice job.

Keep looking for some Grand Cherokee leathers, direct bolt in for you.

Back