• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical problem

SupSay Z

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys, whats going on? i was reffered to you guys by one of the members here and this is my first post...anyways, i have a 89 xj auto 4.0. the problem im having is that out of nowhere the radio, wipers, a/c fan and flashers decided to stop working. i looked at the fussible links in the engine compartment and they all seemed good. all the respective fuses are good and the circuit breakers were good too. has anyone had this problem? any ideas on what i should look for? thanx guys..

alex

Every time I had those problems in my XJs it was a bad ignition switch and bad wiring, overheated, melted, corroded wires and connectors at the ignition switch on the lower part of the steering column, under the dash, and over the brake peddle. It sets on top of the steering column. Don't confuse it with the ignition lock mechanism which operates the slider switch via a long piece of hard rod.

Too many loads on that one wire and connection leads to overheating with age.

thanx Ecomike, i did check the wiring, and while i did not find any burnt wires, i guess moving them aroung fixed the connection. everything works now. well almost, but thats another post. thanx again guys.

alex

SupSay Z said:
thanx Ecomike, i did check the wiring, and while i did not find any burnt wires, i guess moving them aroung fixed the connection. everything works now. well almost, but thats another post. thanx again guys.

alex

Good news is you located the problem, bad news is it "will be back!" It might even move on to not cranking, totally completely dead. Before that happens get a new ignition switch, read up on how to change it, and be prepared to repair and replace ( cut and crimp) some of the push on terminals in the bulk harness connector.

I got tired of problems with mine, and finally bypassed the ignition switch and ran a new hot wire to a 30 amp toggle dash switch for the problem overloaded wire. There are old threads here with lots of details. Use the advanced search using Ecomike and ignition switch and the search parameters.

Back