• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dry axle seal??????

truffle

NAXJA Forum User
I took my 97 XJ to the shop today to check on noise coming from my front driver side wheel area. It is a scrap/swoosh sound that happens even when the brakes are applied. They told me that it was a "dry axle seal" and they see it all the time in XJ's. They shot some grease in there and said it was fine. There was no charge as I kinda know the owner's daughter. I was so happy for the no fee that I did'nt even register what he said. I just got in my XJ and took off. Sure enough about a mile down the road I again hear the sound. I know that there are two inner seals that keep the diff fluid in the gear box and there are two outer seals that keep stuff out of the axle housing. What is he talking about with "dry axle seal"? Should I do the axle seals replacement repair, as this could be the source of the noise? Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. I have a D30 front axle.

I've got the same year, mine's in the shop getting the once-over on the front axle and driveshaft and rear axle. I've got the same sound. The outer "seal" is more like a pebble guard than a seal, as it's a plastic disc that runs on the axle behind the U-joint very close to the end of the axle tube. Probably not the cause, as it would wear to clear.

I'm supposed to get mine back tomorrow, I'll let you know what he said.

Mark

I'll keep looking for the source of the noise. Thanks for confirming that it shouldn't be the axle seals. They are not leaking (yet) so I'll let them be for now. I need to call the owner of the shop and see what is up with that explanation.

Is your brake dust shield maybe bent and rubbing against the rotor?

I bent mine recently and I have slotted rotors so it was making a weird swoosh/clank sound. Took me a minute driving it before the rotor pop into my mind. The shield was just bent a tiny bit causing alot of noise.

Jack it up without the front wheels and spin it and look for a sound?

Back