• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drag link tube snaps, this common?

squidd

NAXJA Forum User
Hey,

Got to spend a night in the woods last night. Went up to walker valley afterwork for some night wheeling and came up on a stump I didn't see and snap the drag link tube cleanly off just beyond the tie rod end at the last set of threads. Had to camp out to the local pull apart opened and one of the other guys in our party made the trip for a replacement. Just kind of curious how common this is and if I should be collecting replacements? By the way, the driver seat of a cherokee on a slope isn't condusive to a good nights sleep:speepin: Thanks.

Guess if you hit the stump hard enough you could break the threaded end of the TRE, but it must of been a hard hit.... Generally the drag link bends like a smiley face which stops forward motion.
When I camp out... I usually sleep in the cargo area on a fold out foam mattress.... This only works if you are less than 5'8" as I am....

:cheers: Yes, this is commonn especially at places like Walker Valley. Remind me to bring my spare tie rod the next time I go there. The tie rod ends are still useable & it's all straight. Walker Valley is much harder on front ends than most orv areas. Actually Walker Valley is a lot harder on rigs in general than Reiter. It never hurts to have a whole tie rod you can just throw on. Just like front axles & drive shafts, when you wheel in a group of XJs it never hurts to have spares. Now I just need to take my own advice, but in 25 years I've always managed to get out of the woods under my own power. Trailside repairs are part of the fun,that is if you make it home in your own rig.

Try checking out local JY's and get the steering system from a ZJ. Much stronger draglink and the tierod is solid instead of hollow tube like the stock one.

Thanks for the advice on the ZJ steering set up. I will have to keep my eyes peeled for one the next trip out I make.
All told it made for quite an adventure and I am proud of the fact that I made it out under my own power. I was up following a co-worker who has an 84' 1/2 tube chassis toyota p/u on 39.5 TSL's. With the exception of the "minor" incedent, made it everywhere he did. I really love my little jeep. :clap:
This was my first trip to walker, always went up to reiter till last night. I think I like Walker better. There are some awsome trails up there.

I've got the unfortunate problem of being 6' 4" tall so even with the rear seat down its a little short. I need to find a way of a fold out extension.

Last edited:
Thats the weird thing, didn't do a thing to the tie rod end. Just snapped the drag link. May have just been the wrong angle it came down the stump.

Save yours for a spare when you do the ZJ swap, someone will eventually need it in the kind of places you like to play in. Even though the drag link is solid stock, where the threads end would be the weak spot. That's where tie rod ends usually snap. The tie rod is the one that I usually turn into a smiley. A small floor jack & a piece of chain is the quick fix for that one.

Back