• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

More AX-15 Q's....

Zoro

NAXJA Forum User
Turns out both my input shaft seal and rear main are leaking on my XJ('90 4.0, 200K) AND I need to replace the slave cylinder. SO I look in the 1990 FSM and it says to drop the tranny which is fine with me, anyways I found a seal& bearing kit which has the basic seals and bearings for the AX-15. Would I be able to install the bearings w/o a press or special tools? Also does something like this take longer than a whole day to do?

I kinda figured I'd replace the clutch while I'm at it even though it's only got 20K on it, should I replace the pressure plate too? Last but not least what's the best fluid to run in the tranny, and what should I do w/the transfer case while it's down(NP231), seals?

Thanks

I use to build stanard trannys and I doubt you'd be able to do it in a day without a press and a few special tools. IMO if you want to go through the hassel to change the bearings you should change the synchros too, which would run you $100 or more for a quality kit. However, it is very easy to change the input seal. After you get the tranny out just take out the 8 bolts (I think, might be 6) and pop off the front bearing retainer. Change the input seal in the retainer, then clean the gasket surfaces and glue the retainer back on.

As for what fluid, the shop I worked in put 15/40 motor oil in most of the light duty trannys, but I would put in whatever OEM says too.

If your going to do the clutch just buy a kit that replaces the disk, pressure plate, thoughout bearing, and pilot bearing. Also, make sure to get the flywheel machined when you do a new clutch. I think NAPA will machine it for about $60-$70.

Finially, the t-case. Unless you are having problems with it, I would just change the input seal seeing as thats the only seal you cannot change with it in the vehicle. Same procedure as the tranny input seal.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Without a press? Seals, yes; bearings, no. I'd not bother getting the kit unless you're going to overhaul the gearbox anyhow.

While you've got everything out, I do concur with replacing both transmission seals (input and output) and the transfer case input seal - the two output seals for the tranfer case can be done without removing the case - and the front output is easier to do with the transfer case still mounted.

Before you get too started, pour a cupful of engine oil and submerge the new rear main in it - this will make the seal more pliable and a bit easier to install, and will help it last longer (I never did like using soap...)

5-90

5-90 said:
Without a press? Seals, yes; bearings, no. I'd not bother getting the kit unless you're going to overhaul the gearbox anyhow.

While you've got everything out, I do concur with replacing both transmission seals (input and output) and the transfer case input seal - the two output seals for the tranfer case can be done without removing the case - and the front output is easier to do with the transfer case still mounted.

Before you get too started, pour a cupful of engine oil and submerge the new rear main in it - this will make the seal more pliable and a bit easier to install, and will help it last longer (I never did like using soap...)

5-90

x2, very good info

I did the bearings and brass in my AX15 without a bearing press Once the tranny was on the bench, it took me about 6 hours going slow. I followed the FSM teardown procedure up until I had the main and lay shafts out and on the bench and then it's pretty obvious what need to come off the shafts to get to the synchros. A bearing press would have made it go much faster, but I made do with a gear puller that got modified a few times by making the arms about 18 inches long. If I had to do it again, I would not do it without a bearing press and a bearing seperator - which I now have.

If you pull the tranny, I highly recommend replacing the pilot bearing. I didn't mess with the clutch since the previous owner had just replaced it. He thought his shifting problem was just a bad clutch and sold the heep when a new clutch didn't fix the grinding. Anyway, about 30k miles later the pilot bearing self destructed and tore up the end of the input shaft and input bearing. Either the shop that did the clutch or I probably damaged the pilot bearing installing the tranny. Anyone want a free AX15 with a damaged input shaft and bearing?

Back