• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help! Starting problems!

88-xj-laredo

NAXJA Forum User
I haven't been on here in a while and I have no idea what to search for with this problem.

So I went wheeling and did some driving so my Jeep was running hard for about an hour and then did some highway driving, I shut it off probably 4 or 5 times and it started up fine, then it was idling in my friends driveway and it just stalled out, when I went to start it it would fire, start like it was going to run and when I returned the key to run instead of start it would die. Now I can hold the key in the start position so that the starter is running and keep the Jeep running for a little while and I can rev it up too. But immediatly when I take it off of start into run it dies.
Ill try starting it tomorrow morning before I put it on the trailer to bring it home.

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON!!!
88 Laredo 4.0 AW4

Thanks in advance
Mark

I know I had an issue with mine that started stalling on me randomly. I then had it die on me at the auto parts store while looking for something else of course! It had sputtered on me and ran for a couple seconds on couple occasions. Looking back i think it must have still had some fuel in the line and that is why. I replaced the fuel filter and it still wouldnt start. I then had to get a fuel pump. If it is a fuel pump issue you might consider getting a factory one. AFtermarket one i got is "noisy." I dont know if that is the issue for you or not but figured i would throw it out there.

Three things on a friends were as follows:

Exact same problem, but a different times, go figure:

1. Was the pesky Ballast resister

2. was the ignition switch, down on the cloumn, that was easy witha squirt of yucky wd40

3. This was a peachy one, the stinking starter relay

Good luck I personally would start with the switch myself..

Hal :farmer:

So heres the issues.
I have already had the ballast resistor problem, and yes it is doing the same EXACT thing as it did then, so I bypassed that already so thats not the issue. I replaced the starter relay alst year at one point so that is still fairly new, and I replaced the ignition switch at the same time as the starter relay (complete pain in the ass too)

So.
I know I can rule those out. I was thinking it was the fuel pump, but it shouldn't keep starting up if it was the fuel pump, like I said it will start but then immediatly dies, as if the ballast resistor is keeping it from running. But it isn't there anymore!

Gah!

Thanks for the ideas, but I need more!!

Well I feel like a dumbass, it sounded like the ballast resistor because it was the ballast resistor, the connection had come partially undone and mud had splashed into the butt connector, so with some new grease, a new connector and some good crimping it runs again!
Well sort of I lost my transfer case half an hour after I left the house! ..... this is never ending....

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

I swear to whomever, my wife will not let me retire, till after I quit spending my retirement on my Jeep...,lol :farmer:

Back