• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fuel gauge problems

besthaticouldo

NAXJA Forum User
i just bought a jeep last night.

according to the guy, the main problem with the jeep is once the fuel gauge gets to 1/4 is that it stops completely. it doesnt move past that. i dont know if it is the gauge on the cluster, or if it would be the sending unit.

if anyone has some suggestions that would be great. i wanna get every little thing fixed asap.

its a 95xj country with 127k miles...any ideas would be great.

I would assume sending unit cause my 93 Country did the same thing, then decided to read empty all the time. All my other gauges read fine but that doesnt mean much. I'll figure it out when I relocate the tank...
I'm sure someone will offer up something a little more helpful.... Congrats on your new Jeep!

yep its in the tank with the fuel pump. I have a spare sending unit if you want it. you will need to get a new tank gasket when you pull it though.

Welcome to the world of XJ's

Since you just bought it spend some time getting to know it and many of your mysteries may become apparent.

The gas tank might have a dent in it. There if a plastic skid protector on most tanks that might hide a dent. If you have a metal factory skid and don't find a dent, do some searching for gas tank sensors.

Mike
also from So. Cal., WELCOME to NAXJA

ok will do...

thanks guys. imma check it out tonight. it seems as tho the gauge moves around all crazy too. like it isnt always in the same spot and tends to go up and down randomly.

besthaticouldo said:
i just bought a jeep last night.

according to the guy, the main problem with the jeep is once the fuel gauge gets to 1/4 is that it stops completely. it doesnt move past that. i dont know if it is the gauge on the cluster, or if it would be the sending unit.

if anyone has some suggestions that would be great. i wanna get every little thing fixed asap.

its a 95xj country with 127k miles...any ideas would be great.

Check the factory recalls. My 97XJ was recalled for that exact problem. Also TJ's were recalled and the Grand Cherokees too. I believe the recall went back to '95 model years.

Hope this helps-
JP

my 89 used to always read 1/4. I swapped out the idiot lights for a full cluster and now the fuel gauge needle goes to extreme right and stays there. The gauge was working fine in the jeep that it came out of. I am pretty sure that this is a sending issue, and was wondering if anyone could link me to a write-up on changing the sending unit. I have searched (extensively) and have not been able to find any hits. If its an obvious search and i just missed it, i apologize.

Funny, I just bought a 98 and I think when the gas gauge is on 1/8 full it's really near empty. Cuz when I make a left turn, the jeep stalls, but I can restart it once I've completed the turn. I filled the tank as full as I could get it and the full gauge registered well past the full mark and haven't had any stalling for a couple of days. Guess I'll need to check into this sending unit.

Somewhere on this thread is my write-up for replacing the fuel pump. Search for it and you will find it.....

The same basic stuff is required for a sending unit fix.

Somewhere on this thread is my write-up for replacing the fuel pump. Search for it and you will find it.....

The same basic stuff is required for a sending unit fix.

Thanks, found it. (You post a lot!) Are these instructions going to be relatively the same for a 98 model?

Back