• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tow rating

rokit5

NAXJA Forum User
What is the tow rating for a 1997 xj?

Looking to pull a Takena rv through flat land. It weighs 3180lb wet.

Im also needing to get a brake controller.
Ive heard good things about the Tekonsha Prodigy, but having a hard time finding writeups on the install for an xj or any installs for any controller system on an xj.

the big limiting factor with towing with the XJ is the incredibly small rear brakes 9"x2".. i've flat-towed an XJ with an XJ 200 miles on the hioghway and i didnt like it at all. if you are serious i'd suggest a rear axle swap to something with better brake options. an XJ D44 had 11"x2.5" drums or an 8.8 swap to get the disk brakes. trany cooler and trailer brakes would be a good start at least.

I did the rear disc swap last year. And a tranny cooler.
Now i just need the brake controller.
Still cant find the tow rate for a 97 and up xj.

5,000 for 4.0L with AW4
3,500 for 4.0L with AX-15

Manual or Automatic?

The manual has a lower tow rating, but either should pull around your camper OK. As long as it isn't real long, or real high, 3,500 lbs is within the rating of a newer XJ.

The brake controller is a simple add. The the older XJs had a wire in the left kick panel labeled "brakes" that went to the rear wiring harness for the OEM tow package trailer brakes (not sure about newer models, but it seems reasonable it's still there in some form), and you connected the output of your brake controller to that, and a tap on your brake switch circuit. However, if you feel uncomforatable with the idea, and don't have a 5 wire towing package now, you may want to have someone install it for you.

No problem with the brakes. The standard Corporate axle that came with the Automatics had 9X2.5" brakes, and those work well. The Manuals sometimes had Dana axles with 10X1.75" brakes wich were a bit weaker, but then you're adding trailer brakes anyway, so no worries.

If you are using an Automatic to tow, I would recomend a transmission cooler. Hayden makes a nice cooler and it's easy to install. Again, if you are uncomfortable with the process of installing one, you might want to have your RV dealer do it for you while they do the brake controller.

Edit: I see that while I was typing, you got some more info. Good Deal!

It is an Automatic.

The trailer im towing is a Takena. dual axle

http://www.gmsrv.com/database/inventory_item.asp?id=440742

2700 dry and 3000 wet.

My brakes have been upgraded with zj discs, a B&M tranny cooler, and 4.56 rp. I have to say this has helped a lot.

But im still wanting the safety of a brake controller.

Took off the two bottom plates below the steering wheel and looked around for an open plug. Nada.

Im going to pull the kicker off and check right now, driver side right?

Wish there were a manual on this install.

Nice trailer for the weight.

If you are planning on using an XJ to tow this as the primary mode of moving it I'd suggest looking into setting up with a weight distributing hitch.

The reality is that an XJ is a fairly short wheelbase vehicle and weighs very little relatively speaking. A weight distributing hitch will help control the load a bit better if the unthinkable should happen.

The engine can deal with weight but the aero may make you use lots of throttle. If you haven't purchased the trailer yet, have you considered a pop up trailer (soft or hard)?

IIRC the stock tow rating for the auto is 3500 lbs WITHOUT a weight distributing hitch, 5000lbs with. Check your owners manual for confirmation.

Zuki-Ron said:

The the older XJs had a wire in the left kick panel labeled "brakes" that went to the rear wiring harness for the OEM tow package trailer brakes (not sure about newer models, but it seems reasonable it's still there in some form).

as a matter of fact i think i saw that wire in my 98 XJ just a few weeks ago... cant recall the color though but it was tagged "trailer"

I tow a 3500 lb trailer and my '99 does fairly well on the flat lands. I have electric brakes and a sway controller, which are essential.

The only real problem is towing up hills. My last outing I overheated a few times driving up moderate hills, so you should ensure you install a tranny cooler, change your coolant, and lighten the load wherever possible.

rokit5 said:
It is an Automatic.

The trailer im towing is a Takena. dual axle

http://www.gmsrv.com/database/inventory_item.asp?id=440742

2700 dry and 3000 wet.

My brakes have been upgraded with zj discs, a B&M tranny cooler, and 4.56 rp. I have to say this has helped a lot.

But im still wanting the safety of a brake controller...

Don't rely on the dry nor wet weight. Use the GVWR (4500 for this camper). You still need to pack all your stuff and gear!! The weight adds up fast. With your brake, cooler and RP upgrades you should be OK after you add the brake controller and weight distributing hitch with sway control. The Takena is a short trailer and will wag the back end of your XJ (BTDT :eek: )!! Your biggest issue with towing a camper is its height. There is a tremendous amount of wind resistance and will affect your overall tow-ability. The 4.56 RP will help.

I can't help on the controller install. I only tow a jetski with my XJ and it doesn't have brakes.

Fran

Back