• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeeperjohn Fabwerkz bumper

jeeperjohn

NAXJA Forum User
The Jeeperjohn Fabwerkz front bumper is now finished. This thing is meant to be all business and no bling. It was a helluva lot of work but I'm happy with the results.
DSCF0788.jpg

The front view.
DSCF0789.jpg

The right.
DSCF0790.jpg

The left.
DSCF0791.jpg

Another angle.

GSequoia said:
FAIL!

Those fancy curved corners are blingin'

:cheers:
Thanks dude! there will be more mods to come. I will install a trailer hitch receiver in the middle and I am going to integrate some frame stiffeners in the future. I will also probably stick some light tabs on there and maybe a brush hoop.

looks great! How did you get those nice blends? is that one piece of rectangular tubing(if so how did you bend those radii?) or is it all plate?
Unique for sure!

Skullvarian said:
looks great! How did you get those nice blends? is that one piece of rectangular tubing(if so how did you bend those radii?) or is it all plate?
Unique for sure!
It's all one piece of 2X6 1/4 wall. I marked where the bends needed to be then cut out the inside of the bend then used a 2x4 to bend the radius, then I welded plate into the parts I cut out in the new shape and there it was. I have better plan for the next one I make though. I will cut out only the parts that needs to be cut so I will not have to make plates to weld in. I will just weld the seams back together after the bend is made. This was not first quality material because I am poor and could only afford remnant material but it did the job. I made the bends on the fron by just cutting a line on the backside and bending it together and welding the seam.

Very nice John! Why no winch? Have any shots of the mounts?

Just a general question (slightly pointed to you :D) what is with everyone copying my shops name? lol

scrappy again said:

Just a general question (slightly pointed to you :D) what is with everyone copying my shops name? lol

Your name is JeeperJohn???? :looser: :dunno:

Nice dude looks pretty good. I like the bends cool idea.

scrappy again said:

You call your shop Jeeperjohn Fabwerkz??! :D Honestly I didn't know that was how you spelled it. I am not operating as a shop so it's just out of the blue.

scrappy again said:
Have any shots of the mounts?
The mounts are only using the 3 mounting points of the stock bumper right now. I will integrate some frame stiffeners at a later time. The shackle mounts are set into the bumper mounts inside and are fully welded. The shackle mounts are directly tied to the bumper mounts. I haven't decided what kind of frame stiffeners to make yet. I want to try to integrate a piece of 2X4 inside the frame rail somehow. Anyway this will do for now.

crazyjim said:
That is nuts dude... I can tell some serious work went into that... wow.
Yeah, I got about 30 hours into it. That time could be greatly reduced with better equipment but I be po' so I do what I can with what I got. Thanks everyone for the replies.

John, that came out really nice. Did you finish it up with the ends capped?
Great fit too.:thumbup:

danwho said:
John, that came out really nice. Did you finish it up with the ends capped?
Great fit too.:thumbup:
Yeah, the ends are capped. I will put an air fitting into it when I get my onboard air setup in and use it for an air tank.

jeeperjohn said:
Yeah, the ends are capped. I will put an air fitting into it when I get my onboard air setup in and use it for an air tank.

now that is SICK!...

this bumper is bitchin!... its different and looks solid. i would add a hoop and 2 lights... but thats just me.. really nice

JOe

KingOfTheHill said:
now that is SICK!...

this bumper is bitchin!... its different and looks solid. i would add a hoop and 2 lights... but thats just me.. really nice

JOe
Thanks for the compliments. I will be adding a hoop and a few other little things later on. I don't have a tubing bender so I will have to go have a talk with Billy.

Wow dude! I'm impressed. You match the body lines great. There are several bends in there to get a nice good line around the front. Looks good.

I'm all about clearance though, so you might think about tapering the ends. There's a ton of material there that's just loosing ground clearance. Good idea about picking up more holes in then the factory 3 holes though. Definitely if you're gonna mount some recovery points onto that.

Tapered ends:
cherokeefront2.jpg

My tapered ends are a little on the extreme, but my bumper hangs lower in the center because of the hidden winch
DSC00483.JPG

Here's how crappy it looks when you DONT rap it around the rounded front of an XJ. Of course, I've got like 2 hours into this skin at the most.
DSC00486.JPG

Back