• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pop sound from front end

rhino317

NAXJA Forum User
Every few times a make a left turn there is a popping noise coming from the front end and it sounds like there is something binding also. Any suggestions?

Thanks

-rhino

Yep. When you replace them, again, make sure you don't make the caps too tight. I'm hoping the 760s I put in about a year ago were done right. ;)

My track bar drop bracket pops from time to time when turning from one direction to the other. This is most noticeable on windy mountain roads as the XJ's weight is continually shifting from side to side. It moves just slightly against the frame. Check your steering linkage and any aftermarket bracketry for signs of movement such as worn paint around the bolt heads.

is it a continuous popping when you are rolling while steering left, or just once when you trun the wheels? if it is just the one pop, it is your track bar mounting bracket at the frame. I had to CRANK the helloutta mine to get it to stop. if it's when you're rolling, then it's the u-joint.

First trip out after I installed the aussie in the front I got a couple real loud "pops" when I was under load and on the gas. When I got home aside from worn unit bearings I had a big chunk missing from the U joint cap and no needle bearings left.
I also have one of those trackbar relocation brackets and from time to time it used to work itself a little loose and you would get a pop and a change in steering angle that could really wake you up. Welded that sucker in and no problems since.

I had an annoying pop sound coming f/the front drivers side... couldn't figure it out for a long time.

Two weekends back I took off my front tires and greased everything well, and also checked everything... ended up cranking on the track-bar to frame mount... the two bolts that go in f/the bottom and CRANKED on them enough to make them sqeal a bit while snugging them up. The two that mount f/the wheel-carraige (horizontal bolts) I couldn't get them to budge at all.

... well, No more pop. My guess is I snugged those bolts up just enough to keep it f/moving at all. That and greasing everything I'm sure helps.

Let us know what you find.

Back