• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CEL and code PO420

xjtrailrider

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
96' 4.0/AW4

My CEL came on after a trail ride Saturday, ran the scanner and got a PO420-engine catylist below threshhold.

I just had the E22 recall done a month ago and the cat checked good. I replaced both O2's since they were the original's and have 200k on them and cleared the codes. It seems OK for now but....

Is my cat going and do I have any re-course against the dealer for them saying the cat is good and now the recall has been done and only a month later my cat goes out?

Why oh why did you bring your jeep to the dealer?!!!!! I'm not trusting them!!

Don't tell them that it happened right after wheeling! Bring it back and tell them you're now getting an O2/Cat related code.

My 96 with ~145k has an old cat...not sure if it's original or not, and it passes MA inspection, including emissions, with no problems....and it gets beat on! Only replaced the upstream O2 sensor, and I'd drive the thing off a cliff before I would bring it to the dealer for some computer/emissions related recall!!!

mjma said:
Why oh why did you bring your jeep to the dealer?!!!!! I'm not trusting them!!

Don't tell them that it happened right after wheeling! Bring it back and tell them you're now getting an O2/Cat related code.

My 96 with ~145k has an old cat...not sure if it's original or not, and it passes MA inspection, including emissions, with no problems....and it gets beat on! Only replaced the upstream O2 sensor, and I'd drive the thing off a cliff before I would bring it to the dealer for some computer/emissions related recall!!!

I agree but I was hoping to get a new cat out of it but they said it was good and flashed the computer with a new program that is supposed to extend the cats life. That didn't work out too well!

xjtrailrider said:
I agree but I was hoping to get a new cat out of it but they said it was good and flashed the computer with a new program that is supposed to extend the cats life. That didn't work out too well!

The new program tightened the range of the O2 sensor,thats why you now have a code.A new cat(that should have been installed at the same time as the re-flash) would have prevented the code from showing up.Try to get the new cat now,

Wayne

you should have one year from the date you got the e22 recall done to get a new cat under the recall. that's how i got mine-about two months after the recall was done the p0420 came up, took it back, got a new cat, and away we go!

Ten High said:
you should have one year from the date you got the e22 recall done to get a new cat under the recall. that's how i got mine-about two months after the recall was done the p0420 came up, took it back, got a new cat, and away we go!
Thanks, I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow and set-up an appointment. I cleared the code after replacing both O2's and the CEL is staying off, it seems to be running great.

I had noticed a steady decline in mileage after the recall, I went from 17 mixed to around 11 mixed. I'm on 32's 4.10's and locked/locked with 5" lift. I was impressed with the mileage before the recall, I hope to get it back close to that.

I do have a cracked manifold but I welded it up and it only slightly leaks on cold start (I couldn't get the weld all the way around the manifold due to the engine block) I plan on pulling the manifold this winter and doing a better weld job to it.

I called the dealer today and they are giving me some crap about the cat. The service manager says they are not responsible for replacing the cat now! I have an appointment for next Friday, I'll argue my point with him then.

xjtrailrider said:
I called the dealer today and they are giving me some crap about the cat. The service manager says they are not responsible for replacing the cat now! I have an appointment for next Friday, I'll argue my point with him then.

In all honesty, its not the dealers fault the check engine light went on. The cat was already bad, they DO go bad after time by the way. The reflash of the PCM just tightened the range of the O2 sensors, before it wasnt bad enough to set a code, now with the tightened range, it is bad enough. It probably started going bad a long time ago.

With that being said, the sqeaky wheel gets the oil. If you argue enough, go to the manager, go to the owner, write Jeep etc etc you CAN get what you want. I work for a dealership and you'd be surprised how many dim witted nimrods just complain until they get what they want, and they DO get what they want. This one lady didn't ever changer her oil but she got a free engine when it blew cuz she complained to the right person. Plus, dealerships make a KILLING, so I'm sure they can get you a $300 cat for free.

I dug up my own thread while searching!

I'm still occasionally getting this code, I have replaced the cat and both 02's. It will go a month or so then throw a code for whatever reason?

Anybody have any suggestions?

Back