• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gages not working (not what you think)

Bronco

NAXJA Forum User
Gages not working (not what you think)
I've got a 98 that I only bough about 2 months ago. When I got it the guy told me gages were a bit flaky now and then. A few weeks into it they stated getting worse and worse. Sometimes it was only the two big ones other time all of them. I read here that all I needed to do was pull apart the dash and make sure the plugs at the back of the gage pod were solid. The first time I opened it up put a bit of electric grease on the contacts and it all worked for about a day and then
quite all together again. So I pulled it all apart again. As I had it all apart I was putting the pod in and out and tweaked the contact tabs a bit it was not working. Then I messed around under the dash and it started working. I had the wife come out and watch while I moved stuff around under there and I never could get them to go back out, so I put it back together. Now about once every time I drive it they go out and all I have to do is bump the underside of the dash over by the wall and they come back on. I have tried to get them to go out again by wiggling stuff under there but nothing. So I'm fairly sure that the pod connection is not the problem and that there is a short in the wiring under the dash, but where?
Thanks in advanced for any ideas on how to isolate the short.

Back