• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

taking off doors

98XJ-ID

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 98 that i wont be needing doors on anymore, can i just cut the harness? will it thow any codes?

it is starting to get cooler, is that a good idea?

AlohaBra said:
Uh..why don't you just remove the kick panels and disconnected them?

For sure. If you change your mind later, you will be glad you just disconnected... Besides it will take all of 2 more minutes to disconnect them instead of cutting.

the jeep is a project offroad vehicle, i have other dailey drivers. the whole thing is going to be caged and chopped. if you would like to see pictures of what the doors look like and why im taking them off ill be glad to show the carnage. i didnt know where the harness ended up or if they could be d/c'd, but behind the kick panels? thank you

why not just disconnect anyway, its cleaner and you never know about further plans or whatever, one of your daily drivers might need a door one day.

the harness is right behind the kickpanel, that grey running board by your left foot.

Yes behind the kickpanel. I have gone doorless on my recently sold 98cherokee so if you need some pointers I will tell you the best writeup I found was on the jeepforum tech section. If you need a link I can find it for you. It was a tough job for 1 person because the doors are heavy. The cutting is the easy part really-------------Kyle

trailrated93 said:
ANY PROBLEMS WITH THE FRAME FLEXING TO MUCH OR CRACKING WITH THE DOORS OFF?

nope.

stod06.jpg

at least not on my 2 door... in my expierence, I have ALWAYS been able to get them back on easily...

I did this -
http://www.myxj.net/tech/doorless/

trailrated93 said:
ANY PROBLEMS WITH THE FRAME FLEXING TO MUCH OR CRACKING WITH THE DOORS OFF?

Yes it broke in half and looked like a taco!!!!!:laugh2: Oh Jeez here we go again-----------------Kyle
:anon:

98XJ-ID said:
the jeep is a project offroad vehicle, i have other dailey drivers. the whole thing is going to be caged and chopped. if you would like to see pictures of what the doors look like and why im taking them off ill be glad to show the carnage. i didnt know where the harness ended up or if they could be d/c'd, but behind the kick panels? thank you

I want to see

Here is/was (recently sold) 98 doorless cherokee right here---------

IMG_0481.jpg

IMG_0511.jpg

44810570373.jpg

I had mine off for a couple days but when I decided to put them back on, I couldn't get the driver's side aligned perfectly and it bent and rubbed the fender everytime I opened or closed them. I recommend marking on the hinges so you know when they are aligned right in the future. Even if you think you'll never put them back on.
And def take the 2 extra minutes to unplug the harness instead of cutting them.

ive done it on my 2000 and i cant get my door pins tight again, ive been using bolts what size is the best

Back