• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

H.O. to Renix

2jeepdrivers

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know what all would have to be changed to convert my H.O. Xj to a Renix XJ. I have been chasing a problem for almost three months and can not figure it out so I am thinking about converting to Renix because I know more about them and they are easier to diagnose in my opinion.

IMHO you would be better off chasing the problem or paying someone to do it. I have no experience in this particular conversion, but I have done quite a few of similar's and it is never worth it. Expecially when dealing with an OBD system.

What is the problem anyway?

Here is a link to my problem. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=963997 I am just tired of fooling with it and have access to mulitiple Renix XJ's and it would make it a lot easier to get parts when I need them. Because my Jeep is a 92' I can only get engine parts as far as sensors and wiring from a 91-92 and there is only one of them in all of the salvage yards around my house but probable 50 or 60 Renix XJ's

Can't be converted cheaply. Find and fix your problem. The other thread has several ideas. Did you follow 5-90s and Ecomikes suggestions?

I have done everything and checked everything every body has suggested that I hadn't already done and so far nothing has even slightly changed the problem for better or worse. I am trying to figure out if I can put a carb on it now, I know it is a step in the wrong direction but this rig was only supposed to last till I got my Scout done now I haven't even worked on the Scout because I am working on the damn XJ.

Connect all the sensors, back pin a connector at the MAP or TPS. I think it's the Violet wire. The black wire with a stripe is the sensor ground. Check the voltage between the violet (with stripe) and the black (with stripe) with the connector connected and the ignition on. If you have to, slice the wire with a razor blade a little length wise so you get good contact with your meter. When your done you can smear a little silicon over the cut. If you get a good five volts, try it again with the starter turning over and see what you get.
Check the black wire with stripe to battery ground, just to see how much resistance there is.
Most all the sensors are daisy chained on two circuits (wires/ violet or orange) but share a common power supply. So a faulty sensor can affect many others. It can also cause the ASD relay not to work.
Just for the heck of it, put your finger on the ASD relay and have someone turn the key on, or turn the key on and unplug and then plug in the ASD relay, you can feel it work (or Not). Then unplug the TPS try it again, then the MAP etc.
Or turn the ignition on and check fuel pressure while cranking, if you get a squirt then dribble, your ASD relay is likely not closing (and not closing the fuel pump relay). Likely a sensor problem or maybe a wiring problem.
It sounds like a shorted sensor to me. Or maybe a bent pin at a connector causing a short.

I had an intermittent open ground in my sensor circuits that took me almost two months of weekends to find. Sometimes they are easy, sometimes not.

talked to a couple of guys. They are currently researching some references, but at first glance they all say it looks like a bad ground somewhere or a shorted wire.

I'm not as smart as them, but it makes sense considering the sudden onset.

Back