• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 aluminum head question

gba88

NAXJA Forum User
I might be checking out a 2000 tomorrow, and one thing I'm really concerned about is if the head is cracked or not. Other than the obvious (oil check, antifreeze dripping out of a huge gaping crack :) ) is there any other signs to look for? I think I read that they usually crack between 3 & 4, but that's all I have to go on. Thanks for any info.

Are you talking about a 4.0 I6 engine with an aluminum head or a stock 2000 iron casting #0630 head?

Other than the obvious there isnt very much you can do other than pressure test it.

~Alex

No AMC242ci engine came from the factory with an aluminum cylinder head.

The #0331 (used 2000-2001XJ and 1999-up TJ/WJ) can be easily identified as the only cylinder head to have bosses for the COP/DIS "coil rail" (Coil On Plug/Distributorless Ignition System.) By late 2000, they'd gotten the casting issues hammered out, so check the manufacture date on the thing and see. They also seem to want to let go somewhere around 100-130Kmiles, so check the mileage as well.

And take a look at the dipstick. If it looks like a chocloate milkshake, you'll be pulling the head to replace it.

Got my casting numbers mixed up for a minute, thanks for straightening me out on that one.

5-90 said:
No AMC242ci engine came from the factory with an aluminum cylinder head.

The #0331 (used 2000-2001XJ and 1999-up TJ/WJ) can be easily identified as the only cylinder head to have bosses for the COP/DIS "coil rail" (Coil On Plug/Distributorless Ignition System.) By late 2000, they'd gotten the casting issues hammered out, so check the manufacture date on the thing and see. They also seem to want to let go somewhere around 100-130Kmiles, so check the mileage as well.

And take a look at the dipstick. If it looks like a chocloate milkshake, you'll be pulling the head to replace it.

ok good info. Yeah, I know exactly what to look for on the dipstick (owned a grand am with the quad 4 once......) Anyway, I'll make note of the manufacture date and the mileage (only saw it from the highway so don't even know the mileage yet). Thanks again.

Back