• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stroker Charging Problem

RMSPerformance

NAXJA Forum User
:wave1: Everyone. I purchased a 91' Cherokee with a stroked 96+ Block. I ran it good for about a week and everything seemed ok. I went out one night and all of a sudden my battery went dead so I thought it was the alternator(cause the battery was a new Optima). I replaced the alternator(3 of them actually) and it's still not charging the system? I checked the grounds and all cables but since I didn't build it I'm not 100% what to check? Any idea's or thought would be great, Thanks in advance!!!

Matt

UPDATE: Check Engine Code 34 is on

Last edited:
how are your battery wire terminals? sometimes the stock wire terminals get worn out and cant tightened well enough.

did you try looking up what check engine code 34 says? The OBD1 cods are pretty specifics about whats wrong.

fuel pump, cps, bad dizzy, intermittent computer issues. The vehicle just shutting off does not mean anything about the alt. Did it cut back on? Did it buck real hard, or did it go out like a light? Did you try having the alt checked somewhere like an Advance Auto?

You need a volt meter to check the charging voltage.
Engine off, you should read ~12.6 to 12.8 VDC, if the battery is at full charge. Engine running at idle, you should read ~13.2 to 14 VDC, if the alternator is putting out correctly.

34 is speed control shorted or open.

I would have the alt bench tested at a store because using a multimeter will not tell you much other than the voltage, which really is not the most important part. You say you have replaced it 3 times, that pretty much leaves the bad part being either the computer, which regulates the alt, or some wiring.

Back