• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bull bars

Root Moose

NAXJA Forum User
We are in deer and moose country up here and now that I've gotten an XJ for my wife it is time to get a bull bar on the front of it.

I'm aware of the WARN and ARB. I have a ARB on the MY01 - would prefer something more "robust" as far as d-rings and mounting is concerned. I find the WARN a touch too fugly for a daily driver. I've been searching here and elsewhere and haven't found much else.

Other options?

JCR has their defender bumper. I have a GC for free shipping if you want it.

defenderxjfrntdsc.jpg

I may take you up on that. I've always liked their winch bumper.

If I could work with them to add a bull bar to that and have it shipped to upstate NY...

Root Moose said:
We are in deer and moose country up here and now that I've gotten an XJ for my wife it is time to get a bull bar on the front of it.

I'm aware of the WARN and ARB. I have a ARB on the MY01 - would prefer something more "robust" as far as d-rings and mounting is concerned. I find the WARN a touch too fugly for a daily driver. I've been searching here and elsewhere and haven't found much else.

Other options?
I got some reinforced mounting plates for my ARB that extend pretty far back on the frame rails. Looks pretty beefy. I'm not planning on it going anywhere. And from some of the moose impact pics I've seen on here, I don't think any bumper will do much to stop that. I think you need to reinforce your A pillars, and maybe a few bars across the windshield...

bass2323 said:
I have an ARB bull bar with thor4x4 bumper brackets.
THAT'S what I got....from Thor4x4.

I've had a rock and a few trees jump out in front of me before, granted at slow speeds (rocks move slowly), but my ARB has been solid and strong. I would also check out the THOR4x4 brackets though, since the ARB only mounts to 4 bolts on each side.. It could be stronger, especailly compared to JCR's or Detours or whoever. That being said, mine is still plenty strong and hasn't budged.
I also really like all the extra protection the bull bar gives, covering the grill, headlights, and the front corners. Now a moose is a moose is a moose, but it does cover most of the front end in case of a collision with an 8' tall 1,000 pound animal. With horns.

Chris

EDIT: I am a newb. I posted rear bumper info.
Nate Front:
$267.00
unknown.jpg

JCR Front:
$373.00
stage23.jpg

i'm debating on the JCR bumber or nates... compairing side by side nates is cheaper but you gotta love that lifetime warranty with JCR...

Nates Rear:
$212.00
XJ Rear Bumper
- 2" Receiver Hitch No
- D-Ring tabs Yes
- Include 3/4" Clevis Two
- Include Grade 8 Hardware Kit Yes
100_1044.jpg

JCR Rear:
$220.00
Stage One:
stg1xjreardsc.jpg

Last edited:
selarep said:
i'm debating on the JCR bumber or nates... compairing side by side nates is cheaper but you gotta love that lifetime warranty with JCR...

If you're going to do either do yourself a favor and add the 2" receiver.

You'll thank me and yourself later. :D

RCman said:
If you're going to do either do yourself a favor and add the 2" receiver.

You'll thank me and yourself later. :D

for the front or rear? I have a stage3 hitch reciever for my rear so I decided to not get one for the rear, only front... yay? nay? any aditional benifits of having 2 2" recievers in your rear???

selarep said:
for the front or rear? I have a stage3 hitch reciever for my rear so I decided to not get one for the rear, only front... yay? nay? any aditional benifits of having 2 2" recievers in your rear???

Having a bumper that is built properly and tied in properly is just as strong as a stock reciever. Ditch the reciever to gain departure angle. It will help tremendously.

edit: for the front, dont get a reciever mount. just make sure its a winch bumper, even if you dont own a winch.

Scrappy said:
for the front, dont get a reciever mount. just make sure its a winch bumper, even if you dont own a winch.

and the purpose of this would be....
if i have no winch and no hook up for a winch, just an empty pocket where one goes, how's that gonna help? it's like a big bottom jaw... with no teeth. anyone?

because a winch is the single most usefull and valuable object on a jeep. You will regret having to buy 2 bumpers. And if you get a good winch bumper, it wont look like a fat lip.

Back