• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC compressor for OBA ?

That's a good thread there.
Switching the A/C compressor to OBA is the best mod you can do to one.
Biggest thing is to be sure and run as much hard line from the comp. as you can, to aid in dissipating heat.

if you can run copper tubing from the compressor (good for heat disapation on its own) and run a loop around the rad sheild so the fan hits it, it will help cool it down ALOT.

I used my AC compressor to run an air bag suspension on my old car and oiled correctly will work for a long time and have VERY FAST delivery. I could go from an empty tank sitting on the ground to lifting a huge @## car to fully extended ride height in under a minute.

I do not run an oiler. I did take the drain from my filter and ran a hose to the input of the compressor, then I just crack the valve on the filter to allow the oil to flow back to the compressor.

So far...so good.

Rev

Rev Den said:
Why?

The Sanden compressor is just fine for OBA.

Rev
Why???

Because the saden compressor is not designed to be used as an on board air compressor. The freon is the only lubrication the saden has. Without the freon the vanes will freeze up, but you already knew this that is why you have to run an external oiler or some form there of. I didn't want to have to fool with an oiler and making sure it had oil in it and cracking some valve every time I wanted to use my compressor. Without some form of oiler the saden will not last five minutes. That's why I got a york. Its got its own crankcase and its own oiling system so it's maintenance free. I just flip a switch in my cab and bam I have on board air. It makes 175 psi easy, plus I don't have to worry about oil blow by like the sadens have.

Yes you can use your saden for oba, but my preference is a york. I never said the saden wouldn't work...I just think the york is of a better design for oba.

Jim

Last edited:
Your points are well taken, however....

The freon does not lube the compressor, the oil in the air stream does. It really is not a big deal to run a separator, and it is easy to set it up so it constantly re-oils without intervention.
The York is a good unit, but in my opinion it is cheaper and easier to just pipe the OEM compressor with a separator and oiler. The OEM compressor will produce more that enough air to do what ever you need.
Guess it comes down to personal choice, either will work fine, but the OEM unit is already in place.

Rev

Rev Den said:
Your points are well taken, however....

The freon does not lube the compressor, the oil in the air stream does. It really is not a big deal to run a separator, and it is easy to set it up so it constantly re-oils without intervention.
The York is a good unit, but in my opinion it is cheaper and easier to just pipe the OEM compressor with a separator and oiler. The OEM compressor will produce more that enough air to do what ever you need.
Guess it comes down to personal choice, either will work fine, but the OEM unit is already in place.

Rev

You are correct about the oil in the air stream that was my bad saying the freon did the lubricating. Duh!!! Yes the saden is already there so it is easy to use...I built a plate that the york bolts to with four ears on it that utilizes the factory ac braket. It actually worked out quite nice...it just took a little bit of fab work.

Here's a thought...they make a filter separator that collects the oil and once the pressure shuts off an automatic pressure relief valve at the bottom opens and empties the oil. It would be easy to run a hose from the valve back into the saden that way you wouldn't have to do anything.

Well I was going to do the Sanden then I decided the York was better but there is another option, I will try to did out the current compressor I got from my father in law (Heavy duty Mechanic for a logging company) that came off of a machine that was abandon that he thought I could use, its a little smaller than the york but a similar design but it puts the york to shame, fills the same tank I tested the york I got from a junkyard (the 210 one) three timese faster, my york took about a minute and a half, this took 30 seconds if I remember the specs.. there is no name on it just a model number.... this thing is the way of the future of OBA

So just cause people say the sanden or york is the way to go there are always alternatives, it just depends on what you want for install time, trouble etc.

I will try to get my Father in law to dig it up, its burried somewhere in his garage by now....

Back