• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lots-O-Probs

trkrdave

NAXJA Forum User
'92 4.0 with select trac transfer case. I think the t-case is shot. I'm getting a bad vibration on the highway and a lot of noise coming right from under the drivers side floor. Everything else on the vehicle has been checked from wheel bearings to u-joints to ball joints, both diffs. Also my spedometer only works sometimes. Both driveshaft seals have been changed as well as the bushing in the rear of the t-case. Also my torque converter will not come out of lockup unless I press the brake pedal. TPS has been changed. Although unrelated the bottom end of my engine sounds like a diesel and just started leaking oil (I think rear main as I recently changed valve cover gasket). I'm thinking a broken flex plate. I'm going to the shop on Monday and any input from you guys would be really really apreciated as I really don't want to get hosed and I'm tired of my girl telling me to sell the thing. Thanks in advance. Sorry for the long write-up.

Same probs. w/ my '97-- Shops have diagnosed bad TC & pump in transmission; loose flex plate was re-tightened.

A mystery thumping under driver's side which turned into a metal-on-metal squeak (presents itself whenever) noise has been traced to front drive shaft to TC. This after I had a new wheel hub installed & u-joint fix on driver's side...

Both repairs are out of budget for me-- I love my XJ! :puke:

Last edited:
bad caliper on drivers side took care of the shaking and a speed sensor took care of the torque convertor probs. Mechanic cannot fond where oil leak is coming from. He said that if it was the rear main then the inside of the bell housing cover would be soaked but it is dry.

trkrdave said:
Also my torque converter will not come out of lockup unless I press the brake pedal.

How do you know it was not unlocking, symptoms?

Back