• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starter bolts

Garden Spyder

NAXJA Forum User
While out in Colorado last week, it seems I lost a bolt out of my starter, does anyone know if I will have to go to Jeep directly, or would you think that the car parts stores would carry something like that? I need them both, because one is now gone, and the other is loose, I reckon it could be bent by now so want to replace it for good measure.

I would say just take the one you have to the harware store and get two of them. Likelyhood is that they are the same, but I don't have them to check offhand.

IIRC the bolts are not the same. It seems one of them is longer than the other.

I would get them at the salvage yard instead of paying way too much at the stealership.

I just had my 89 starter out. The bolts are different sizes and lengths. The bottom on mine was larger and longer with SAE threads and the top was metric, although it's quite possible I accidentally put a metric bolt in it when I swapped the tranny. That would explain why the threads were messed up...

I doubt you bent the bottom bolt, btw. It's a lot stronger than the aluminum housing on the starter.

I guess I should ask what year and engine, since it looks like the mounting is different between the engines and also changed depending on the year. If it's the bolt that threads into the starter from behind the bell housing, you could probably hit an auto store and ask to see the starter to figure out the threads.

Dealer would probably know what you need, but charge you at least $5 a bolt.

I found another post where you said it's a 93 4.0. My parts list shows:

J4006192 1.75" bolt
11502689 1.18" bolt (3/8" thread I think?)

The same bolts are listed for my 89, so yeah I screwed up and forced a metric bolt in there. It's holding though.

I replaced my starter a few weeks ago and noticed I was missing the top bolt as well. I just went to pick n pull to get the replacement bolt instead of hardware hunting and hoping to get the right bolt. They didn't even charge me for the bolt, just the $1 yard fee.

Back