• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Marvin is all well

johnnyc

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Tuesday, while getting on the 5 freeway, Marvin started running crappy with no acceleration. Got towed home by AAA.

I checked the TPS, IAC, fuel pump relay, ballast resistor, MAP sensor, vacuum hoses, etc. etc. And I changed the fuel filter.

After conferring with my expert NAXJA friends, I changed the fuel pump and now Marvin is happy again. But what a PITA it was. Got soaked with gasoline, and had a hell of a time with that darn lockring. At least, I didn't have to drop the tank. But looking back, it may have been easier if I had.

Thanks for everyone's concern and advice.

Oh man... I HATE that stupid locking ring. PITA!

and getting that pump in the right position is also a lame as hell.

Glad the MJs up and runnin.

Yeah, the positioning and lockring took the most time.

Hey Allen, I didn't know that was you at the M&G yesterday until after we left. :dunce:

haha yeah im a quiet one.

You know how it is, i saw you pondering your confucious proverbs over there :D

AFter changing 3 fuel pumps (I think) I have found it is easier to just drop the tank.

You can clean any crud around the lockring. You can make sure the pump is seated properly. You can make sure the gasket is seated properly.

If Marvin is happy - we're all happy.
How does Marvin like those drop links? A better fit, or too short?

karstic said:
AFter changing 3 fuel pumps (I think) I have found it is easier to just drop the tank.

You can clean any crud around the lockring. You can make sure the pump is seated properly. You can make sure the gasket is seated properly.

True. I won't know if the gasket is seated until I fill it up with gas. I've got all my fingers crossed.

xjohnnyc said:
True. I won't know if the gasket is seated until I fill it up with gas. I've got all my fingers crossed.

That reminds me of the second or third time I chagned my fuel pump. Everything went well and the Jeep ran fine.

Went down tot he gas station, filled up, and as I was getting in heard a funny sound. Looked down to see gasoline pouring out from my poorly positioned O-Ring. Lost half that tank.

GSequoia said:
That reminds me of the second or third time I chagned my fuel pump. Everything went well and the Jeep ran fine.

Went down tot he gas station, filled up, and as I was getting in heard a funny sound. Looked down to see gasoline pouring out from my poorly positioned O-Ring. Lost half that tank.

Now that is an expensive "O" ring...:cry:

Well....I didn't drive Marvin today after what Sequoia said earlier. :) I got home, filled my jerry can with gas, and slowly poured it into the gas tank. No leaking.

Pulled it out of the garage and noticed drippage occuring. Damn! Then I realized that it was only Marvin's normal oil and tranny fluid leak. So I drove Marvin around the block. No leaks. The gods are looking down upon me.

Here's the good part - In my excitement, I left my keys in Marvin and locked the garage. I was able to get into my apartment. But my spare garage key is....in Marvin. :twak:

Hopefully, I can persuade Santa to come over later with his bolt cutters.

It's been a stressful day.

BIG THANKS TO SANTA AND HIS CORDLESS GRINDER!!!!!!!!!

LOL...

I read the grinder comment, and I was all confused as to why you'd need a cordless grinder to install a fuel pump... not to mention possible fire hazards... then I went back to the first page and it all made a lot more sense.

Sorry to thread jack, but Johnny you have a cool avatar--
416687ac.jpg

DansGreyMj said:
Sorry to thread jack, but Johnny you have a cool avatar--
416687ac.jpg

First I thought that it was the same corner. Then I thought there was a big hedge on the side of the house. Then I thought your Comanche was on top of Cherokee. Then I noticed your location.

Ha! Sorry, but I just woke up .

Back