• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Old AW4 question and a few other things.

Stallacrew

NAXJA Forum User
I pulled the AW4 out of my parts XJ today. I got it out after it was being a little whiney bitch, but I have a question about the condition it currently is in.

A dark oil looking substance ran out from around the shaft in the front........is that normal. I'm assuming it's old burnt ATF but the engine did have a RMS leak so I don't know. Either way, fresh ATF and we should be good, unless it isn't supposed to come out of there.

How hard is the filter change while it's out of the Jeep?

Things are about to all go back in so what do I need to do before I put it back in that's easier to do with it out than in?

I just dont wanna look back and kick myself in the ass cause something is gonna be a bitch to do with everything in that I could have done while it was out.

Most important is if that tranny is leaking where it shouldn't....

Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

--Alex

I'd probably change the front seal while its out. Lift the t/c off and the seal is right there. The filter is easy to get to, drop the pan and a couple of bolts. It's really just a mesh screen that can be hosed off with carb cleaner. Go easy on the pan bolts as its easy to strip the aluminum threads. Make sure you rotate the t/c until it's fully seated before you try putting the tranny back up.

Back