• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is this and why is it hanging free?

Crusher16

RRC President
NAXJA Member
I pulled my front bumper forward from being pushed in from an accident, and all was fine, until I noticed this connection/thing hanging down from behind the bumper. It runs along the wires going to the fog lamps on the grill guard. Is it just another connection for more fog lamps? It does not seem to actually connect anything, it seems its just a dead end connection.

Before:
IMAGE_325.jpg

IMAGE_326.jpg

After and connection:
IMAGE_334.jpg

IMAGE_335.jpg

IMAGE_336.jpg

IMAGE_337.jpg

IMAGE_338.jpg

Fog lamps still, but my head lamps apparently stopped working. Not sure if its related, since they have randomly stopped working before as well, and decide to fix themselves shortly after.

88XJSport said:
If your XJ is a 90 or newer, then it is the temp sensor for your overhead console.

Alright.

Anybody have any ideas about the headlamps though? High beams work fine.

Its a 1991.

I've had a 2000 and currently have a 1997, I've done front end work on both and always wondered what that was. Neither of mine had the overhead console so the temp sensor stuff makes sense.

Mark

well thats clearly your stationary eco connetisizor

This guy needs an anwser to his question. People come on here with serious issues and need straightforward honest answers instead of these silly remarks. Crusher 16, I appologize for these flippant and disrespectful anwsers. These guys know that your photo shows what many have considered the primary reason AMC went bankrupt. The result of hundreds of lawsuits. It shows the nuclear tipped auto destruct device installed in only 1 in every 1000 XJs built. You sir are the proud owner of a rare vehicle once equipped with state of the art top secret experimental military hardware which has since been removed. Unfortuneately they forgot to remove the nuke self destruct device. That was a lucky accident--another inch or two to the right and KABOOM :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: And you wouldn't be alive today to talk about it. I am pleased that I came forward and cleared this up for you.

P.S. This message self-destructs sooner than you think.

Crusher16 said:
Alright.

Anybody have any ideas about the headlamps though? High beams work fine.

Its a 1991.

Since your high beams work, but no regular headlights im going to guess by saying its your dimmer switch (not to be confused with the headlight switch that also controls the dimmer for the dash lights). The dimmer switch is on the steering column behind the panel directly in front of your knees.

well, I messed with the wires going to and from the relay and they now work. Wonderful.

Back