• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My Jeep Makeover.

w0mps

NAXJA Forum User
Alright guys, I'll tell you a little about myself. Been lurking this forum and some others for awhile now. My names Andrew and like many of you, I am a Jeep addict. I've had an XJ, a YJ, a TJ, a WJ, and a CJ7. I finally settled down and went for the hands down best - the XJ. Now I want to start modifying it to get out there and wheel again. Got sidetracked for awhile with another project (Suzuki Katana) and am finally finished with that, so getting back to the Jeep.

I have a 1999 XJ, 4.0L, AW4, 231, 8.25, 30, Banks header, Airaid intake, Flowmaster 40 series, PIAA driving lights up front, some unknown coils up front with a ~2-3" spacer, AAL with blocks in the rear, unknown control arms (which are seriously worn, clunking while hitting the brakes in reverse, etc.), no skids at all, no front driveshaft (took it out, had very bad vibes with it) and that's about all the important stuff.

I love the look of a big Jeep, and ideally I would like to go with 36" Iroks. I drive this Jeep daily, but have a bike like I mentioned, so gas mileage isn't really too too important to me. I am a very undecicive person and think way too much. I have a slight touch of obsessive compulsive disorder so everything I touch needs to be damn near perfect. Just looking for your guys opinions on what to start with. I will post pictures of how the Jeep sits now and think it's a good height how it sits. I don't mind trimming, but really don't want to chop it up too much. I just want to get the suspension overhauled and get the drivetrain and steering in order, so it drives good and wheels even better. Then on to armor, bumpers and all that good stuff. Thanks alot, I'll be updating this thread as I do my updates so bear with me!

l_62c13c52d57b966bbdd83281089eecce.jpg
l_3baa8f5d8f74016e58f9fbf1a02bbdb2.jpg
l_0ec2e093a408fc98def6a33de02599a2.jpg
l_2d6b0f06fa4dd832477e6c974d2f21b7.jpg
l_a65739a2f7195afb3a9f62dd8ee31052.jpg
l_4498b9b1e1d5ed5672209ddcc994f09d.jpg
l_9d0a8b95110c8d6723b64e32a3309c53.jpg
l_4dc9078b9e677bc39590062969546523.jpg
l_383ac48ede1282170f61c330a202ff3b.jpg
l_f20a728ca2252bc3fb0e8e873e59687a.jpg

Your Jeep looks awesome now, just leave it the way it is and fix the few things that are wrong with it.

Next time you post pictures leave a line between them, makes it easier to read.

Otherwise thats a clean looking jeep, I would say no IROK's if it sees any street time.

-Alex

looks good like it is, but if u want to go bigger then i wouldnt overhaul the suspension, just replace it with the height u want, fix the other stuff while u have it tore down so u r not removing things twice

you need a new suspension for those size goals... and axles as well
and you definately need a slip yoke eliminator to eliminate those vibes
rear blocks/AAL's wont work either, you need new leafs for 33's, much less 36's
budget? goals?

for suspension, maybe a tnt ylink? or comparable long arm 5.5" - 6" kit?

looks like youve found the rocks, maybe a winch/bumpers?
http://www.tntcustoms.com/treks_home.asp

Well I was thinking of moving my way from the back forward. I forgot to mention but I do have an SYE as well. I'm thinking of running 33's or 35's with trimming at this point. So in the rear, maybe RE 4.5" springs with 1.5" TnT boomerang shackles. Front springs RE 5.5" and the TnT long arm upgrade. Figure I'll be upgrading to long arms, which get rid of the old, crappy control arms. Also, will be getting a nice belly pan which eliminates the need to buy a skid plate.

I run mostly rocks, hate mud, hense why my Jeep is so clean. I love heading out on a Sunday morning to do some trail riding, so bumpers and a winch are in the works!

How would the Jeep look with this setup? Any bigger than what I'm at now? I am running 32x11.50x15 AT's. Come on any and all advice, comments, and constructive critisizm is what I'm looking for!

On a side note, where do I go to update my signature? Do I have to be a paid member to have one?

here's what it'll look like with those springs, arms and 32" tires.

I did the same setup to my rig a few weeks ago. RE 1.25 boomerangs, RE 4.5 leaves, RE 5.5" coils, TNT Y-Link. It rides well and flexes very well!

Ah your from Jersey huh? The ol pineys. I love cruisin down there, just hate the water and mud bigtime. The hill climbs look fun though. Been down there lately?

I'm from Delaware (see the upper right corner of this post), but I goto the pines occasionally (2 or 3 times a year, usually). It was crazy dry there this past weekend. Which wasn't a bad thing, since we had a couple stock jeeps.

whatevah said:
I'm from Delaware (see the upper right corner of this post), but I goto the pines occasionally (2 or 3 times a year, usually). It was crazy dry there this past weekend. Which wasn't a bad thing, since we had a couple stock jeeps.

Ah okay. Any chance you know how I can update my signature?

Hmm I click User CP and don't see 'Edit Signature'... Perhaps it's for paid members only, or I need to have a certain amount of posts.

No a signature is a perk of a paid membership, as well as being able to post in all the forums, as well as getting a sticker, and being part of this club.

Jeep looks real nice though, actually almost identical to how mine first looked, besides being a different color. Looks nice and clean.

Great-looking Jeep! Looks like mine, with a few less decals! I still want to get those clear front turn sig. lights...

NCjeepgirl83 said:
Great-looking Jeep! Looks like mine, with a few less decals! I still want to get those clear front turn sig. lights...

Aww, Katie... I'm sure you wouldny have to work hard to get them off him..:roflmao:

What is the budget for this build? What I would do assuming a decent but not insane budget.

Clayton long arm Kit
http://claytonoffroad.com/index.aspx?sdr=/get.doc.aspx&qs=LD:parts%20List&l=make!model!modelEx&p=Jeep!Cherokee!XJ

A rear 8.8 with a super 8.8 kit
http://www.superioraxle.com/axles.html

some sort of front D44

5.13 or 5.38s

a NV241OR transfer case (4:1 factory out of Rubicon Wrangler) You can convert yokes to 1310

Rocker replacement
http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical/technicalfiles/ARrockerPanels/RockerPanels.htm
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=55727&highlight=rocker+replacement

The rest would be Armor,Tires, Beedlocks, etc

Thats what I would do from a fresh build to run 36" IROKs in the rocks. Thats just me though, all depends on your budget.

Back