• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Restore

Cherokeekid88

NAXJA Forum User
Well i have been interested in trying that Restore Engine lubricant. I have heard from a couple people, that this stuff is awesome and is about the only product that actually does what it says. The chit is like 8 bucks for the 6 cylinder, but if it does indeed work, i would love to try it out. I need to change my oil this week and wanted to buy a bottle and try it out. A guy told me that, i should notice a difference in the first 100 miles. Anyone have any experiences with it first hand?

I use it in all of my cars. I like it a lot. It did wonders for a 91 I gave my mother in law. I dont know about within 100 miles, but I definitely saw a difference in power and mileage within 2 tanks. Use a good flush, change the oil, then add it in instead of that last half quart of oil.

Note: you will only see a difference in higher mileage or worn engines. If it is for that 88 in your name you should see a difference.

Do you add that on every change? How long have you used it? They had to stop making some of their claims because the FTC came down on them for false advertising... not sure I trust it...

I used it once, and I did not put it back it. It should not make any difference after the first time. It will only restore so much compression. It does work well, but I would not use it but maybe once a year or so, and on new to you high mileage engines, not because it doesn't work or is crap, just because I dont see it making a difference after the first treatment.

It will:
help with compression and oil consumption

it will not:
fix a crappy motor, stop major leaks, or bring back your dead cat

It is not a miracle cure, but it is a very good product for older engines.

I used it on my son's 96 Ford Taurus, in December, 8 months ago. It was throwing OBD-II CEL codes for a missfire cyl #1, that was caused by compression problems. #1 was at 81 psi, two others were at 110 and 115 psi. The others were all at 150 psi, spec was 150 psi, min 120 psi.

WE added restore to the engine, and added some head gasket sealer dry brown fiber tablets to the coolant.

A few weeks later the CEL frequency fell, and the 110 and 115 were back at 150 psi, and the 81 was up to 111 psi. He changed the oil about 12 weeks ago without adding more Restore. It also passed the emissions tests here about 4 weeks ago. He has put a good 10000 miles on since December.

Restore is different from most other products. It contains submicron particles of a lead-copper-silver alloy (CLS on the label) in a suspension that plates out on and in scored areas of the piston cylinders thus increasing, or "restoring" compression.

Last edited:
Im a little weary though.... I just google'd Restore and read some of the reviews about it. I did read some good things but i also read some bad things about it. I read that it gums up your engine and might work in the beginning but will cause long term effects. Im not sure if i want to add it or not, but i guess it really couldn't hurt if i use it once and if i don't notice anything i can drain it and not use it my next oil change.
EDIT: I have an oil leak atm that im trying to sort out, but need to change my oil in the mean time, so i don't think that RESTORE has any detergents in it that would cause more leaks or leaks to get worse would it?

Last edited:
just use it. I have not heard of it causing problems personally. I worked in parts for a while and I am willing to be that most of the negative reviews you are reading are either unrelated problems of ones that it never had a chance of fixing in the first place compounded by user error. I have seen someone try to sue Advance over a product that they put in their oil when they should have put it in their coolant and vice versa, so user error is not uncommon either. Used correctly you have nothing to lose but the $8.

it's worked well for me. used it in my sister's beater 3.8 mustang, the stuff cut the oil usage by about 75% and brought the compression up from 5-20 lbs. on varying cylinders. used it again on the gf's old 2.8 chevy celebrity. we used it at every oil change for two years. that old pos blew right through smog and used nearly no oil at all. when she sold it to a co-worker it had 288,XXX on the odometer and ran bitchin'. that motor never had any internal work done to it. i'm a believer.

wolfpackjeeper said:
it will not:

bring back your dead cat

WAT!!! fluffys gone forever???

I have used this stuff the past three oil changes, my engin has 206k on it. The Restorer seams to quiet down the clattering lifters some and reduce engin noise. I can't say it has cut oil usage because none of my jeeps have ever used any oil.

hmmmmm....might have to pick up a bottle of this for the Chevy. Need to stop that oil burning till we can get a new motor for it.

Haven't lost compression in it....yet....but burning 3 quarts every 2-3K is getting quite old.

Back