• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

92 cherokee limited

woodironman

NAXJA Forum User
hi this is my first midsize jeep my DD is a 86 wagoneer.i was given this jeep it is in good condition as far as the body goes. the PO had it serviced and the original fuel filter changed drove it home and awhile later went out to move it and it would not start just turn over he sprayed gas down the TB it would run until the gas he put in was gone was could it be? i though maybe the MAP sensor but i'am not sure. if anyone on here could help me out or point me in the right direction that would help alot. thanks mark

The folks on these boards are really top notch. Best Jeep board and I have been to a few. They are equal to brickboard.com which is for volvos another highly regard board.

code 14 was my post and a pretty elaborate description on how to test the map. Attached is a url which someone gave me to test all the sensors.

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Engine/Basic_Sensors_Diagnostics.htm.

If it doesnt start should first check if you a getting spark to the plugs.

it is getting spark when gas is shot into the TB it will run for afew seconds until the gas is burnt up. i read on here something about a balist ristor for the fuel pump would a 92 have one? thanks mark

woodironman said:
it is getting spark when gas is shot into the TB it will run for afew seconds until the gas is burnt up. i read on here something about a balist ristor for the fuel pump would a 92 have one? thanks mark

I'm pretty sure a 92 does have the resistor. This is a feature that Jeep seems not to have been consistent about. Look for it on the driver's side inner fender. A rectangular ceramic resistor, with a wire at each end. Check that it's connected, and the connectors are free of corrosion. Try first just cleaning them and making sure they're tight. The connectors are often marginal. If that doesn't work, just bypass it by temporarily taping the two connectors together. If that works, you can either replace the resistor or bypass it permanently without harm. It is used basically to make the fuel pump quieter, but it does not actually seem to extend the life of the fuel pump measurably.

Did you check if the fuel pump is coming on at all? It should turn on for a couple of seconds when the key is turned on. Have someone cycle the ignition to on while you listen back by the tank. If you don't hear anything, test voltage at the fuel pump connecter (located by the fuel filter). If there is voltage then the pump is bad. If there isn't voltage, check both sides of the ballast resistor. If no voltage at the resistor, check the fuel pump relay.

Back