• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What are my options for an AC compressor delete?

Andx0r

NAXJA Forum User
I've been searching around using various terms, but I can't seem to find info on my engine/setup.

My vehicle is an '86 Cherokee with an '88 AMC 2.5l 4/5-speed combo, so it's got the '88's serpentine belt setup.

This is the current state of affairs under my hood:

no_comp1.jpg

no_comp2.jpg

I'd like to just ditch the already dead AC compressor since the AC lines and the condensor were already cut out by the PO. I don't need that big dead weight blocking my spark plugs and wasting space.

There's nothing preventing the belt from running straihgt from the alternator to the power-steering pump, but that seems like a long distance for the belt to cover with no pulley. I've been searching parts sites but can't seem to find an idler that would mount up to what I've got there. I see a pulley that has no mount...could I mount that up with a long bolt to the compressor mount? Can I just run a shorter belt straight from the alt to the PS pump with no pulley or anything?

In an ideal world, I could get rid of that ridiculous looped upper radiator hose and replace it with a 90-ish one. It needs replaced anyway, since the PO clearly believed in *UNK!*-tightening every bolt, nut, and hose clamp he came across, which caused a split in the upper hose. :smsoap:

So, what's the best course of action here? Help is apprecated, as always.

if you are concerned about the distance you could fab up a bracket and mount an idler pulley on it. or you can check with places like advance to see if they have a delete pulley. they did for my 91.

Anyone know what the factory setup would've been on an '88-on 2.5l XJ with no factory AC at all?

You should be able to run a shorter belt on the 4cyl. I don't believe the 80s 4 bangers had an A/C delete pulley like the early 4.0 You can't run a shorter belt on the I-6 because the alternator & water pump will run backwards w/o the A/C comp,but it doesn't appear to be an issue on the 4 banger. Google "A/C delete pulley", if there is anything out there in the aftermarket it should pop up. You might look for a 90 & earlier YJ 4cyl/no air & see how it's set up. YJs without air are fairly common & use the same style radiator as your early XJ.There might be a factory delete pulley for the 87/90 4cyl or possibly the 6cyl pulley will adapt to yours. You can find the 87/90 6cyl no air setup at a lot of wrecking yards.

routing.jpg

Hmmm. This is Dayco's routing diagram for a non-AC '88. There is supposed to be an idler up there. Interesting.

It looks like the 4 bangers must have a similar setup to the 87/90 I-6. I'd search the local bone yards for the factory delete. I've heard the 4 cyl rigs were more likley to come without A/C than the I-6 & even those[87/90] aren't that rare.

Back