• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Dana 44/60?

WaXJ_Skier

NAXJA Forum User
Ive been saving to have a front dana 44 I found a really good deal(under 3k). I'm close but considering maybe waiting saving a bit more and getting a front D60. I only plan to run 35s but also plan to put a 4:1 TC in. I'm just wondering if the D60 would be a good choice.

with dual 60's you wont be running 35's for long.

jeepme said:
with dual 60's you wont be running 35's for long.

I'm building for 35s I DD so I have no intention of going higher.

WaXJ_Skier said:

Be careful and practice safe jeep-ing, inch-itis is very contagious... so is lift-envy, Jeep envy, big -tire-itis and several other psychiatric problems that the good people of NAXJA deal with daily.

My good friend... If you are considering the buliding of a D60 front axle then you may have a problem. The first step is to admit that you have a jeeping problem that the only cure is to build a Jeep that will only fit into the shop is if you let some air out of the tires. or stop and put the rollers on.

Last edited:
WaXJ_Skier said:
:roflmao:

build the 60 and shave the bottom. I'd go the way of a 60 if I were doing a doubler or a 4:1. Look at vetteboy, he's got a doubler and says he's got a pile of d60 parts to go with it. You could build a d44 to handle it I'm sure, but if you go the d60 route you have more room to build up if you do spit parts. The only downside I see about the f60 is the lost ground clearance.

Rockhound89 said:
if i was think about a 60 i think i would go with a 609
609 budget is a totally different ballpark, he's saving for a 44 now maybe a 60.

If you can honestly say that in 5 years you won't have another DD, and dedicate your XJ to trail use, then I'd say go ahead with the 44, I have every intention of 39.5 one day so I'd need the 60. It's really up to what you really plan to do.

Beef up the axles you have now, and if you plan on going bigger than 35, build a 60.

I would just skip over the 44 and build up a D60. Less money spent that way.

I feel your pain. I went through this debate with myself for several months before I settled on D60s.
I did have a HP D44 for awhile and the Friday before the weekend I was goning to tear it apart I came across the '87 and '79 D60 axles.

I played the “juggle a bunch of axles at my parents house” game. :laugh: I literally went through a set of XJ 30 and 44 axles, a ’78 F250 HP D44, a ’87 F350 HPD60, then settling on a pair of D60s out of a ’79 F350. All said and done after the swaps I ended up with the ’79 F350 axles for next to nothing.

What settled it for me was the fact I knew I had another DD and that my XJ was a trail rig so building 44s only to go 60s later didn't seem wise. However, if it was my only DD, I'd rock the 30/44 combo (like you've got) for awhile longer until you need something bigger. Then I'd go D60s or a 60/14b.

Yet, how is the 44 you found built? That might throw anyother wave into the pool.

I would agree with razdrvr that a 609 when comparing it to junkyard/second/third hand 44s and 60s is a COMPLETLY different level of banking and paychecks needed. :laugh:

RCman said:
I feel your pain. I went through this debate with myself for several months before I settled on D60s.
I did have a HP D44 for awhile and the Friday before the weekend I was goning to tear it apart I came across the '87 and '79 D60 axles.

I played the “juggle a bunch of axles at my parents house” game. :laugh: I literally went through a set of XJ 30 and 44 axles, a ’78 F250 HP D44, a ’87 F350 HPD60, then settling on a pair of D60s out of a ’79 F350. All said and done after the swaps I ended up with the ’79 F350 axles for next to nothing.

What settled it for me was the fact I knew I had another DD and that my XJ was a trail rig so building 44s only to go 60s later didn't seem wise. However, if it was my only DD, I'd rock the 30/44 combo (like you've got) for awhile longer until you need something bigger. Then I'd go D60s or a 60/14b.

Yet, how is the 44 you found built? That might throw anyother wave into the pool.

I would agree with razdrvr that a 609 when comparing it to junkyard/second/third hand 44s and 60s is a COMPLETLY different level of banking and paychecks needed. :laugh:

Its a hp44 60" wms to wms 5 on 5.5 w hubs chromoly shafts gears of choice and aussie locker different locker if I want it

WaXJ_Skier said:
Its a hp44 60" wms to wms 5 on 5.5 w hubs chromoly shafts gears of choice and aussie locker different locker if I want it

For how much under 3K? (If you don't mind me asking)
Is it brand new? If not it doesn't seem like that great of a deal.

RCman said:
For how much under 3K? (If you don't mind me asking)
Is it brand new? If not it doesn't seem like that great of a deal.

~2600 brand new everything freshly built. Guy uses early bronco axles.

If you're set on a 44 have you considered a JK44? It's alot cheaper than 2600, and in my opinion a better axle than the old design 44

WaXJ_Skier said:
~2600 brand new everything freshly built. Guy uses early bronco axles.
Thats an ok price IMO, but not the greatest, assuming that its bolt in ready. Alloy shafts? All said and done I should have about that into my HP D60.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not trying to talk you out of the 44 and into the 60, just making sure you consider everything before dumping a ton of cash. Like I said above, I'd rock the 30/44 combo (like you've got) for awhile longer until you need something bigger. I SURE do miss wheelin' mine...
razdrvr said:
If you're set on a 44 have you considered a JK44? It's alot cheaper than 2600, and in my opinion a better axle than the old design 44
Eh, thats been debated a bunch of times in other threads.
Personally I don't think you're much better off with them assuming you keep the 5 on 5 bolt pattern. You will also have to rework brackets are it won't just "bolt-in" (which if you are swaping axles I'd assume one could do that anyway). Two minor points, but it is something to consider.

The early bronco 44 axles are standard rotation and low pinion.

Unless this guy took a High Pinion full size bronco front end and narrowed it???? Which would be fine. But i'm not so sure on the $2600 price tag.
I bought my HP ford dana 44 front end for $200. Then obviously went through it, other than locker and chromoly axles so i saved a bit there....

Last edited:
Ended up starting the 44 route. Found an already narrowed HP44 out of an F250. narrowed to waggy width(has stock waggy shafts) and chevy flat top knuckles. Cost me $500 I just have to finish it up with hubs and gears.

Back