• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front wheel bearings

Daveisdabomb

NAXJA Forum User
I am planning on changing out the front pads soon, so I also plan on changing the grease seal and repacking the front wheel bearings. My heep is a 93 2wd. Evidently Jeep uses a hub bearing except for 91-93 2wd, which use the old fashioned inner/outer bearing with seals. Can someone tell me what the torque setting is for the hub nut on this? Also, anyone with some advice would be helpful

There is no torque setting for a conventional hub nut. It has a "castle nut" with a sheet metal retainer and a cotter pin retainer, right?

After you pack the bearing and set it back in place, put the nut on the spindle and tighten gradually while rotating the wheel slowly. It's best to do this with the tire and rim in place. Keep checking by pushing and pulling on the top of the tire for play in the bearing. After you have spun it a few times to be certain the bearing is seated, the idea is to tighten it nut just to the point where all free play has been removed from the bearing -- no farther. Then back off the nut to until the slots in the "castle" and the sheet metal lock nut line up with the hole in the spindle and you can install the cotter pin.

Effectively the goal is zero lash with zero preload, but since that's pretty much impossible, it's better to have a tiny amount of lash than to preload the bearing.

o.k. I think I've got it. It's been a while since I dealt with the old school bearings. On re-packing the bearings, you clean with blake-cleaner then work the grease through the small end of the bearing, right? Anyone know if I need a seal puller, or is it easy to deal with?

Back