• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DD just dies for no reason

wannabe

NAXJA Forum User
97XJ (145K) with 99 motor (~50K). In the past 2 months or so the heep has just completely shut down on me with no symptons about a half dozen times. It had been running fine for the last few weeks and then this morning on the way to work it does it again. The first few times it wouldnt even turn over while trying to restart then after unplug/plugging the 2 connectors on the thottle body several times it would finally start. This time it would turn over but not start till after I did the same thing. Would the TPS cause this, shorting or just bad connection? It seems really random: cold/hot, incline flat ground. It has a code so I'm going to the nearest scanner after work. Any ideas, suggestions. This is my DD so I need to get this corrected. Thanks.

Went to autozone and pulled the following codes:
P0122 - TPS, PCM determined input from TPS lower than expected
P1694 - no CCD from ECM
P0700 - bus no comm's with TCM

I pulled the connector from the TPS and plugged in a new one (not installed) and the P0700 cleared. While in their it sounded like one of the relays was popping as I wiggled the wires on the TPS connector so I may have either a bad connector or a short. Would a bad TPS be this random? What are the symptoms of a bad TPS? Guess I'll be looking for shorts this weekend....

I've thought that too, will have to figure out how to check it. Any suggestions?

Its also been hard starting for about 2 months. It used to start up on the first crank now it takes 3-6ish when its cold but 1-2 when warm.

I could really use some help here as this is my DD and am going wheeling on friday. Its been running without shutting down again and no check engine lights. However this morning I did notice that when I started it up it ran about 1K rpms for just a couple seconds then down to about 750 (thinking TPS?) when it was cold. Then on the way to work at every stop it would bounce from ~500-700 (thinking CPS). The harness does have about 145K on it so I plan on cleaning up the connecters and putting some dielectric in there but I'm not too confident thats the whole issue. Please help!

the heat shield and all insulation on the 3 wires on the CPS were melted away, all 3 were totally bare for an inch or more. Couldnt see it till I pulled it out because it was hiding under the intake. Running perfect now. Just get 2-3 feet of extensions and it will take about 10 minutes.

Back