• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

over heating

Socal XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Help!!!! I just put a brand new coolant overflow tank on my 88. this morning it was leaking by the cap like crazy and the cap really doesnt get tight. What is going on here?:repair:

Socal XJ said:
normally how tight should the cap feel? When it feels like it is starting to actually get tight it pops back

Snug. Just tight enough so it does not leak. :D

Sorry, I know that sounds like a BS answer.

Rev

i had the same problem. try using your old cap to see if it gets snug. if not you could always put in on and wrap it with something till you can get a new tank or a cao that fits

Did you get it from eBay or some other online vendor? I bought one from a well known vendor to all on here. It was a piece of crap. Cap couldn't tighten. Even my old cap. So much for "new and improved".

In my experience...and I've replaced the overflow bottle three times...you should get a new cap every time. Cap doesn't need to be tightened that much. BTW...bottles at dealer are $50 plus...but are $20 at Quadratec...with a cap.

Also...if you have another problem (really is over-heating)...cap might not be the problem. Those caps are only meant to hold about 6 lbs....I think.

Good luck!

Back