• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

welding rear axle

XJ4Christ

NAXJA Forum User
I was curious (i tried search for this topic so if there is one and i couldnt find it i appologize) if anyone had any pro/cons and any info on welding rear axle? I want to get lockers eventually, however at the moment I have dana 35's which i have found out to not be worth doing much with. I dont want to worry about replacing it as of yet as i need to work on other things unless of course i break it than I could justify that with my wife :).

What can you all tell me about this? I have heard guys say that have 4x4 trucks to do it, but my friend who has an XJ says I shouldnt do it because the XJ has more weight on rear and can break axle.

Thank you for your time.

I wouldn't do it to the 35; a guy I wheeled with on the Rubicon said once he welded his 35 he started constantly breaking shafts on 32" tires. He put an open carrier back in with unwelded spiders and he was fine. Made it through the Rubicon with out busting up the turdy five. good driver though, he was real easy on his rig.

weld it up! i daily drive a welded 8.25, when it breaks, i have an 8.8 waiting.

i have a buddy who has a welded dana35, he wheels like a madman down here in florida, mostly mudrunning, and it's been okay, i'm sure it wont last too incredibly long.

make sure you spread your heat, and take a while to do it so you dont get it too hot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welding is a bad idea if it's a DD

Welding a D35 is just not a good idea.

Some guys can run it welded and never break......

Chances are you will snap a shaft.....I managed to snap a shaft in a parking lot when I hit my ARB accidentally pulling out of a parking space.

I do not know you, I do not know how you drive, that given I would recommend against it.

Rev

Rev Den said:
Chances are you will snap a shaft.....I managed to snap a shaft in a parking lot when I hit my ARB accidentally pulling out of a parking space.
Was this in a 35? If so sorry you wasted that cash.

im usualy all for welding an axle up(done it to about a dozen axles) for the poor mans locker, but DO NOT weld a d35 it wont last very long and then youll end up spending money fixing it that you could have saved towards an axle that cant be mistaken for a tooth pick. i welded up two d35s before i learned my lesson, id weld an 8.25 but not a d35.

The pro's of welding up your dana 35 is you won't have to deal with those pesky trail's anymore. You'll be on the tow truck long before you find the trailhead. :)

l_9e10028fb61a23be9ccd9bb04c182c2d.jpg

that is from my 93 27 spline 8.25. I ran 33 baja claws. The difference was night and day, my jeep went everywhere I needed it to. Chewed up the tires quicker, but I didnt care. I carried spare shafts but never once needed them. Please dont weld a dana 35 though, seriously, its the stupidest thing you could do to your jeep.

Ok thx alot for the info :).

my non jeep friends keep encouraging me to weld it and I had heard that it wasnt a good idea and I wanted to get your all opinion :). I think they want to see me break :p.

people you wheel with will hate you for welding it, because if you use it like a welded axle usually gets used, it will break. glad to see you made the right choice.

well i suppose im the stupidest person since everyone advises against welding a dana 35. so far its been fine. i dont drive it everyday anymore but i still take it around town and drive it to the mudholes.

Mabye just one of the luckiest. Most people advise against smoking. Doesn't work so well for most, but some get away with it.

i would just weld it...i ran a welded carrier for about a year in a TJ with33" tsls on it...only plaed in sand and mud here in FL tho. i dont know how it will do in the rocks...but fawk it. do and then carrier spares...

jbjustin33415 said:
mudholes.

that's the why you haven't broken it yet :rof:

winkosmosis said:
Is there any thick fluid you can put in a diff to make it sort of limited slip, like what you can get for radio controlled cars?

No, where did you think that would work in an open rearend?

In a stock limited slip, dont add any additive, or add an extra clutch to each side to make it tighter.

A D35 doesnt need to be welded or locked to explode.

chance_p said:
does anyone even know what size tires the guy is running? i mean if he is on 30's or less i really dont see a problem in welding up a 35?

That is because you don't understand how truly spectacular a dana 35 really is. I know of people in stock TJ's who have broken them by hitting a bump on the highway under load.

No, even with 30's, welding a d35 is too much for it.

Back