• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Persistent overheating

xjkraut

NAXJA Forum User
About 3 weeks ago I replaced a leaking waterpump, and put a new thermostat in. after driving for about a half of an hour the temp goes way up. I can't tell if it overheats at low or high speeds, but it never boils over or shuts off, just sits at like 240 or so, and sometimes creeps back down to 210. as far as i can tell the system is full with no air in the system. i'm going from philly to south carolina on friday, and need the jeep to work properly.

We cant guess what year the Jeep is, or if it is an open or closed system, or if it was giving you the problem before you changed the pump... You gotta tell us that info.

If I were you, I would replace that thermostat again before friday. It could be sticking even though it was new. Make sure you get a 195* t-stat, and double check the lower radiator hose to make sure it has a spring in it to keep it from collapsing under high (er, low) pressure. Good luck!

Hallo Jeeper. You can easily follow the heat coolant by hand and control the flow. After one minute, the T stat opens and the upperwaterhose is warming up.
After a few minutes the lower hose is warming up. Conclusion: pump and Tstat ok. But is the elec. fan ok? Is the clutch of the main fan working?
Good luck so far.:wave:

Last edited:
Back