• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

prepping dana 30

jeepnuts311

NAXJA Forum User
hey

recently grenaded my dana 30 carrier bearing which resulted in a locking up of the front diff, so i removed the diff cover and pulled the inner shafts out. when i pulled the diff cover i found out why my bearing blew.

apparently my pinion seal was shot, but it never leaked because there was no diff fluid in the diff. the previous owner had some fun in the mud too, because the whole diff was full of it. it was totally my fault tho for not checking/ changing the fluid. im a dumbass

i tried to use brake cleaner, but it didnt help so i pressure washed it for about 5 mins and still never got it all the way clean.

i am re-gearing on sept 19 and i want to know what i should do to get this axle ready to go to the shop. (the axle tubes were nasty, too)

-Tim

Clean it as best you can, pull axle shafts and give them a bare housing.
That is if you are pulling the axle to have it regeared.

If not you could pull out the inner shafts and leave the stub shafts in the unit bearings.

Make sure you have all parts and peices that you need.

As for the dirt and other such junk, try to scrape as much as you can without damaging the housing or anything inside it. Soak it with brake cleaner and keep on doing it. Maybe try wd40 as well?
For the tubes, try a rag on the end of a coat hanger and pull it through the tubes, or push a rag with a broom.

Back