• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

piston back into caliper

wim hoppenbrouwers

NAXJA Forum User
Hallo Jeepers. I do have trubble to put back the composite pistons into the calipers. To take them out, was no problem with pressured air. ( like a canon!)
Can I only use brakefluid for the lubrication? Or is there something else, that I can use? Why don't use petroleum solvents?
Mayby I have to build a pressure stand or use my drilling standard to press.
I don't rebuild metal pistons but composites ones. Metal will conduct the heat to the caliperchamber and heat up the breakfluid too quick imo.:wave1:

Last edited:
use only brake fluid to lubricate the piston, no petroleum should contact the rubber parts of your brake system. The seals will swell, wear faster or fail suddenly.

alot of guys use their bare hands and squeeze the piston into the bore with muscle power, since they fracture easily

92DripCherokee said:
use only brake fluid to lubricate the piston, no petroleum should contact the rubber parts of your brake system. The seals will swell, wear faster or fail suddenly.

alot of guys use their bare hands and squeeze the piston into the bore with muscle power, since they fracture easily

Hallo. You people in USA are very strong indeed. But I read in an early post, you run metal pistons? What about the heat conductivity?:eyes:

Last edited:
I have had to use clamps a couple of times doing break jobs. Use the old caliper to give a surface to place the c-clamp and compress (thereby not damaging the new caliper). Right, wrong, indifferent, it's worked so far.

i never noticed burned brake fluid from metal pistons, synthetic brake fluid holds up just fine

I do notice brake fade, after hard stops. metal pistons conduct heat into the fluid. this can be a benefit, if your fluid has a very high boiling point. Your brake fluid will act as a coolant.

Alright. Only when the brakefluid is in good condition and has a high boilingpoint. I run dot 4 mayby that's ok.
I did a pressing in with a big C clamp and it works very good. (fourxfour 79)
Thanks folks for the tips.

Back