• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELL OF A NIGHT (rant)

NW-ZJ-SCOTT

TEXAS-JT-SCOTT
NAXJA Member
decided to run the oregon trail off mt.hood into wamic tonight, a very easy but long trail. about 40 miles long. it was me and another xj

half way threw the adventure, my right rear shock broke off the top bolts.

10 miles later the rear driveshaft broke off the axle and the other shock broke off aswell
Put it in Limp mode and FWD'd from that point on
5 miles later the front driveshaft locked up in the TC
Transfercase locked up i'v had suspicions it was on the way out.

6 hours after that i am finally home, thank god i always carry the right tools and tow equipment.

Looking for a Rear Driveshaft and a 242 Case.

wow. what a night.:doh:

I got gas w/ NW-XJ-SCOTT at 2:48 pm. I'm now home myself and it's 1:48 am. Yeah, we both are very tired from this one. Pulling Scott 100 miles with a tow strap from The Dalles to Gresham, took a toll on my physical side.

By the way, does anyone know what beat up that trail? What storm? Year?

The Barlow Trail 10 years ago was a nice little dirt road, few rocks here and there, but now you need a good 4WD.

Post some pics Scott!

SoreRunner said:
I'm going to question this, but why?

242 is 4WD Full time and 231 is 4WD Part time.

What is the difference other than this stated above?
The 231 is stronger, has a better aftermarket support, is physically smaller (doesn't hang down as far). The 242 is not a BAD t-case, but in terms of off roading it offers no advatages and suffers from the aforementioned shortcomings versus a -231. If you need a new case anyway, there is no reason not to swap in a -231.

-----Matt-----

im not against the 231, as i rarely use Fulltime, but it is nice to be able to use fulltime in mixed road/offroad conditions.

i have thought about the 231 because of the SYE issue, i plan to go 4-6" someday soon and im going to need an SYE, The hack-n-tap system is not all that appealing.

Either case is a good case. There are advantages to the 231 like mentioned above (not sure that I agree with the strength issue I don't believe there is a significant strength issue with the 242 in our Jeeps with a 4.0) and the SYE and 4 to 1 and 2 Low kits are the bigger advantages in my mind.

However, the 242 with the full time capability is a significant advantage for some people, particularly if you have a stock-short lift and drive in the ice/snow on the road on a regular basis.

Either way, if you are going to replace what you have you should understand the advantages of both and decide from there. Keep in mind different years have different input splines also.

Michael

Back