• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

carnage pics/tech question

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
Went wheelin last night and it didn't turn out too well....on to the pic with a tech question to follow.

One fubared drag link.

One fubared tire(sliced sidewall from hitting fire hydrant)

what a mess!!!!took forever to cut all this fence out of my axles.

More fence!!!Note the leaking axle seal.

I didn't have tools with me so I was forced to drive 1/2mile to my house(not the smartest decision)I made sure the fence wasn't going to lock up my drive shaft/axle shaft/wheel and proceded to slowly drive home.

Made a left hand turn and when I went to straighten the wheel the fence got caught on the steering linkage and I ended up grazing a fire hydrant hard enough that it sliced my sidewall.

Got home after changing the tire and noticed my driver side axle seal is loosing alot of fluid.My question is how would hitting a hydrant cause my seal to go?

I was wheelin on my buddies dads PRIVATE property back in the field.The grass was headlight high so I didn't see the fence.

I'm not bragging....I had a tech question but to make things more interesting I posted pics of the carnage.Just got back from the j/y and snagged a grand cherokee steering system for $27!!!Good little upgrade(I know the drag links are the same so there's no upgrade there)

So does anyone know why the seal would go?I don't see how grazing the hydrant would cause the axle seal to fail?I'm just wondering if I did more damage than I thought I did.

Last edited:
We were just giving you a bad time[probably you deserved it] but you most likley tweaked the housing. Possibly the axle shaft flexed when you hit the hydrant & damage the seal. The d-30 housing is prone to bend but I've seen people drive them bent forever. Pull the axle, check it for straightness & replace the seal, maybe that'll fix it for you. Check the housing where the C is welded to the tube. Look at the camber, if your drivers side tire leans in either direction that is most likly your problem.

Yea thats what I was thinking....I'm saving money right now to re-gear and to be on the safe side I'll probably get another d-30 from the yard here where they go for $80-90.

I'll have to pull the carrier to change that seal...right?

cool thanks....
any advice on checking the axle housing for trueness?
Like I said I'll be re-gearing soon and while I'm in there I will be installing new ball joints....Don't want to put all those nice shiney new parts into a bad housing,ya know?

Use a tape measure and measure the tube to the ground at the ends and the middle. When I bent my D30, it was 1/2" lower to the ground in the middle and rather loud. That was caused by hitting a hidden ditch in the snow and getting some unintentional air time. Busted the tie rod at the pitman arm as well. Thanks the gods for cheap $60 axles at the local junkyard.

Yea but what if it's bent back?
The more I think about it......that 4.10 geared $80 d-30 at the local yard is looking better all the time.
Hopefully it's not bent....I've seen the way the workers throw the vehicles around there...
Any advice on buying a junk yard axle???

And Where can I find an "alignment bar"?

LOL, I like the carnage pics. I also like that you didn't explain until your follow-up post - just said you went wheelin' and then mentioned the fire hydrant and showed the fence around your axle. I was all ready to start looking for the video on Fox's Wildest Police Chases until you explained.

Back