• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Allignment after offroading? ... For the DD / Road & Trail rigs

Hammered

NAXJA Forum User
So my question is do you guys deal with the allignment at all... or do you do it like twice a year. or am I just haveing some loose fromt end issues.

I had mine alligned when I had the new tires put on about six months ago, and after a few stumps and a few rocks later (few months later) Its starting to act like it needs an allignment again.

Do any of you guys run into this issue, or just try to put it off?

I need some feedback here. Thanks guys.

check camber via ball joints. caster imo wont really be an issue. check your toe, should be toed in within a 1/4 inch, iirc. but in my experience, check the steering linkages, tre's and trackbar. this type of steering on a solid axle is straight forward.

scottmcneal said:
What do you mean? ( Its starting to act like it needs an allignment again.)Is it pulling? Did you check your air pressure?

x2, start with the simplest solution first.

First off, i try not to hit things HARD, check your tie-rod.. If you hit it that could knock your alligment out.. Use a tape messure to check it..Use the search to find out how.. Thats how i did mine

adjust the tow in and steer ahead yourself, i wouldnt pay for that to be done b/c itll just get our of whack soon anyway. Balance the tires with the respective amounts of airsoft BBs or youll need new balancing every 5 or 10k and everytime you damage a lug........

The answer is yes, if you wheel, you can knock any alignment out of whack. You need to do some searching on the subject on here, possibly the OEM Tech forum. I do my own "shadetree" alignments. I even have a stick of wood I use specifically for that purpose. Just make sure the steering wheel is straight when the tires are straight, and toe the Jeep in slightly (approx. 1/8"), and you should be fine.

A.

Don't bash stuff.

And I really don't think adjusting toe is as easy as people say. The spec is 0.45 degrees toe in. If you can set your alignment to within half a degree, you must have some amazing equipment. I have lifetime alignment from Firestone

X3 on the bashing. BTW, bashing will knock your balance weights off the wheel.

I "walk" my axles, I'm on my third TRE at the pitman arm, second track bar. I replaced ALL the suspension wear parts when we bought the heep. These have worn out since that replacement.

1990, 4.0, AW-4, NP-242, D-35, D-30, 2 & 1/2" BB. I run 235/75 Michelins for DD use, 31x10.50 BFG A/T for trail riding.

Here is a good read: http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoAlignment.htm

I just bought the lifetime tire alignment package. The guy offered it to me as an upgrade when they were fitting my tires. Think he took me for a sucker. I went in once a month, or every time I went wheeling. Just waited till they were not busy. It is an easy way to check your undercarriage too. While the jeep is up I just walked into the bay and started looking around while they were aligning it. so yea, 9 times later the guy said I was one of the only people who get their moneys worth

Alignments are easy once you learn how to do it the best way for you. I use two nice pieces of 2x6 and a couple of blocks. I've never had an issue. It should be 1/8 to 1/16 of toe in if you have the 231 transfer case and "0" for the 242.
That being said, I never go out of alignment "bashing stuff". Rocks, logs, trees, it doesn't matter. I guess anything can happen if you wack something hard enough but I can run a rock bed at a good speed and drive home 5hrs without an issue...I just did.
If you're having issues check the track bar bushings. These, in my experience, can wear out pretty quick and cause all kinds of problems.

Deadman 94 xj said:
Alignments are easy once you learn how to do it the best way for you. I use two nice pieces of 2x6 and a couple of blocks. I've never had an issue. It should be 1/8 to 1/16 of toe in if you have the 231 transfer case and "0" for the 242.
That being said, I never go out of alignment "bashing stuff". Rocks, logs, trees, it doesn't matter. I guess anything can happen if you wack something hard enough but I can run a rock bed at a good speed and drive home 5hrs without an issue...I just did.
If you're having issues check the track bar bushings. These, in my experience, can wear out pretty quick and cause all kinds of problems.

ok, so perhaps it is somthing wearing out(bushings) and not just going over large obstacles. I'm gonna check into the shade tree method.

I also have a ZJ V8 tie rod that I may swap in. I believe thats one of the mentioned JY Upgardes.

Thanks alot for the help guys. :star::star::star::star::star:

I usually need to do a DIY alignment after a serious stump jumping or rock crawling session. Big tires & severe abuse are hard on alignments. I've had a Land Cruiser & several full size pickups & suvs with straight axles & they've all needed the toe in set and/or the wheel centered after abuse. I'm only talking about after serious abuse, not simple trail driving. It's just part of the hobby.I set mine at 1/8" even with my 242 because I hardly ever use the full time 4wd.

Last edited:
Jeep gets only 1500 miles per year... Since it only has 149K on it I should be good for another 50 years... As for tires.. I do not worry about it.

I have owned my '98 since new in '97....
Purchased a lifetime alignment policy in '98 and when I purchased the GY Wrangler MTRs six years ago.... I purchased the lifetime rotate and balance...
With the RE drop brackets and U/L adjustable control arms...; caster adjustment is a non issue....
Installed the Currie 1 Ton steering on my Jeep six years ago... the alignment is rarely out much...
Generally I take the Jeep in for lifetime rotate and balance and to check the alignment every 3-4 months.... FOR FREE !!!
Haven't paid for an alignment or tire balance in more than 6 years.... :D

Back