• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 gearing question

dard1324

NAXJA Forum User
I'm buying 4.56's and was planning on a lockrite in front but I've found out I'm only going to save about $120 by going with a lock rite and new carrier over a full Detroit for the front. What would you guys do?

If the extra expense doesn't matter to you get the Detroit. However, I run the setup you're looking at and have had no problems.

Saving the $120 would be nice since I'm an 18 year old college kid but I feel like I should go by the "if you're going to do it, do it right" saying. Would a lockrite and new carrier be "doing it right?"

dard1324 said:
Saving the $120 would be nice since I'm an 18 year old college kid but I feel like I should go by the "if you're going to do it, do it right" saying. Would a lockrite and new carrier be "doing it right?"

wel it woundn't be "wrong" by any stretch.. i guess an advantage of a lock-right in your case would be if you break an axle on the trail, it would be more resistant to damage. the Detroit doesnt take well to the quick unloading of a broken shaft and is often damaged internally. if you are running stock shafts i guess a lock-right would be a little more reasonable. and the lock-right is easier to deal with when fishing metal chunks out of while laying in the dirt under a broken rig. make a future upgrade of a detroit and chromoly shafts..

Go with the lock-rite or an Aussie. Save a little money for other mods. If its in the front you will only be using it in 4wd, so why spend the extra cash on it? I would personally spend less now and buy the full carrier locker for the rear later, possibly a selectable for the rear. There is nothing wrong with a lunch box locker they work great an require little to no maintenance, plus if you break one you can replace it for $250(new one) in your driveway on the weekend.

Back