• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 vs 89 XJ

boot2thehead

NAXJA Forum User
Got under my project to be xj last night and found that the unibody supports (would be the frame rails if this had a frame) were toast. That was the straw, I've decided to build something else and either scrap this thing or use it as a donor...

Mine is a 96, I found a high milage 89 xj that I may be interested in... my question is what are the main differences between the these years? What should I think about keeping for future use, what might I be interested in keeping for an upgrade?

My 96 will end up going to the crusher but before that happens I want to get some of my money's worth out of it. :gee:

Thoughts?

Just about everything is interchangeable between the two with little to no modification. The biggest difference is that the 89 is a RENIX which means its pre OBD1 .. the 96 is OBD1. This comes into play when you do diagnostics and troubleshooting. The OBD1 computer will store codes etc, the RENIX will not. Some would argue that the RENIX is better (im one of them), but its all in how mechanically inclined you are IMO.

If it was me i would pull just about everything i could out of that 96 (if you had the storage space) and store them for extra parts. Then send the stripped 96 to the crusher.

Thanks Muad'Dib, I thought that most parts would work on both but wasn't sure...

I know that some of the older XJs used the antilock break motor for the power assist. If this is the case with the 89 could I move the break booster and master from the 96 over? I'm not too worried about antilock breaks in the project as most of the time it will be off road.

Also is the vacuum operated transfer case good for off road or should I think about moving that over from the 96 as well?

I also have both 1996 & '89's

Neither of mine have anti-lock brakes, but the standard master cylinder on the '96 is MUCH better than the standard one on the '89. The shaft to the pedal needs to be modified and the lines from the booster to the distribution block need to be replaced, but it's well worth it.

If the '96 is a LATE build date with standard brakes you MIGHT have a 29 spline Chrysler 8.25 rear axle which is stronger than the Dana 35 in most '89's (or you could have a 27 spline 8.25, counting splines is the only way to know for sure).

Transfer cases may be different in use, both have their fans.

Most all the options swap right over; Under dash lights and speakers, front & rear skids, tow hooks and hitch (don't forget the "nut strips"), third brake light, use an unused hatch wire to make it work. Rear wiper and washer, heated rear window and all the switches for same. Grab the rear speaker bar if the '96 has one.

Hope this helps, have fun!

Rodger, I'll grab all of that, maybe the seats too if the ones in the 89 are trashed, overhead console etc... not sure what the 89 ws optioned with.

Think I'll grab the doors too, their a litted dented up but would be good to cut down to half doors. Since this is a unibody is it a good idea to keep the window frame intact when cutting half doors so that when I put the regular doors back on they close correctly? I was thinking about body flex with that, also thinking that the frame would help keep the hinges from coming out while on the trail with the half doors.

Back