• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Infinity Amp

SuperRoo

NAXJA Forum User
Yep, I've ponded for almost 18 months over the fitting of this amp to my truck. Read many times how some of you recommended to others to ditch it. Well I've decided to give it a go, but need some advice. I purchased it off ebay soon after buying my cherokee. Sad thing was at the time I didn't know much about these most desireable forms of transportation and tried to keep what ever I replaced "cherokee" to save on future problems.

I was hoping someone may have a diagram of the wiring for the Infinty 56007653AC.
The harness didn't come with it, and I stupidly thought it would be a simple plug and play like the aftermaket versions. I know it came from a 1998 model while mine is an 1988, which will be hooked up to an old Alpine CD unit (which includes all amp connections and original diagrams).

DSCN0791.jpg

DSCN0820.jpg

Thanks guys in advance

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1988 Cherokee Laredo, 4.0L, 4WD, Auto...and it's left hand drive too

Amps are easy, you generally have wires set up like this:

TINY BLUE (like 24 gauge-ish)wire into the "remote" hole/plug. this tells the amp's relay to turn the thing on, it's a signal wire.

RCA cables from the head unit go into the amp to send a signal too, only this one sends the un-amplified music signal. There are generally 2 and I've seen black and reds and they do L/R sounds.

LARGE BLACK (4 guage usually in my experience) wire goes from the amp to a nice ground on the chassis of the Jeep

LARGE RED ( also 4 gauge) goes in the amp directly from the battery, has a fuse inline with it.

Finally you have the wires that run to your speakers. they are in pairs and you split the ends, strip, and connect. Depending on what kind of output this amp can run, you can run them in series or parrallel but generally you just run one set of wires out to one speaker. I am asuming that you are using the amp for door speakers and not a sub.

This stuff is really easy, don't overthink things and if you have a question or see blue smoke coming out of anything, Stop, unplug, and ask. If you see that blue smoke (really rather whiteish) you have probably ruined what it just came out of.

--Alex

The problem is that the factory Infinitys had no RCA plugs on them- it was all speaker- level inputs. I say take the loss and forget the Infinity. Especially if you don't have the rest of the car to go with it. You can buy much better quality aftermarket for less money. I recently got a 500W RMS Blaupunkt mono amp from Crutchfield for $99, and the biggest problem was feeding it power. It has RCA inputs, and remote turn- on, and I made a wire harness of four #10 AWG stranded wires. (Don't know the comparable metric wire size). Good thing, too. I put my amp meter an it, and saw a peak of 75 amps, a little more than #10 should be asked to carry. The Sony head unit (as well as most modern units)has all the RCA outs and wiring to make it easier. I had the Infinity system in the '98 ZJ, and while nice, was no match for what's in my '96 Country. Just my $.02..Ray

Thanks guys for the quick replies.

Boneyards for jeeps are the proverbial hens teeth around London. And the guys i've rung want to sell the whole setup. There is no such thing as a pick'n'pull like they have in either the US or in Aus. Just to give you an idea, when I bought the jeep, both door locks were stuffed. It cost me £100 (around $200) to buy said locks as they are part of a set which includes the steering column & tailgate lock. So i've got the GM key to start the thing, but all other locks are now chrysler.

Sorry Alex but I may not have explained myself fully in my first post. I understand the basics of wiring the system up, my question is what are the wiring connections for the plug/s (in the 2nd picture) as I have no idea what is what?

Thanks again

RichP said:
Here is the infinity pin out for a jeep ZJ. Hope it helps, Also note the ground wire from the radio turns on the amp which he mentions in the write up. I'm replacing the factory am/fm/cass head unit in the ZJ with another JVC am/fm/cd/usb/bluetooth like I have in the TJ's.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/3033112/Jeep-1996-1998-Grand-Cherokee-Radio-Replacement
Thanks Rich, I wasn't aware of the ground wire connection, but alas, I'm still no nearer to knowing the pin outs on the amp.

Back