• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

a crossmember bolt is stripped

tonexj

NAXJA Forum User
so i put a transfer case drop in it and one of the nuts or w/e the bolt screws into is stripped so i only got 3 holding my drivetrain straight, any ideas?

Drill and tap the nut to the next largest size. I tapped to 1/2x13. Buy an expensive tap, cheap taps are cheap for a reason.

Other forum members have had this problem too....
As posted above.... you can drill and tap to the next larger size bolt.... OR......
Another way would be to either remove your seat and cut/drill a small hole above the offending nut insert and tack weld another nut in place.... or cut/drill a small hole in the uniframe rail and insert one that way....

SEARCH NAXJA for nutcert, nutsert, nut-certs or nut inserts. Several threads cover buying and installing new threaded inserts. Drilling and tapping is the simplest repair method.

Last edited:
Installing nutserts requires a tool to set (tighten) the insert in the hole....
I have had one nutsert loosen up over time and spin when trying to thread a bolt into it.....
My solution was to clean the metal surface of the nutsert and uniframe then tack weld the shoulder of the nutsert in four locations....

I'd pull the front seat, cut a small hole (there's a drain plug there, if you pull it out you can see the offending nut once the seat is out and carpet pulled back) I broke the weld on one nut putting my t/case drop in, and it was quite easy to hold a new nut on from the top and put a new bolt in from the bottom. Is it necessary to weld the nut in place though?

Back