• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

newbie with questions

hombremosqa

NAXJA Forum User
ok, so im new to jeeps, and i just purchased one a few months back. an 88 cherokee laredo. i have already had some problems with it, but it hasnt had to be towed just yet. i have a trip coming up in october, and before then, i want to fix the latest problem im having before i get stuck in the middle of nowhere.
like i said, this is my first jeep. i have heard lots of good and bad things about jeeps. like mileage for instance, supposedly bad, but im pulling around 22 MPG highway out here in utah. maintenance, yeah that one's been a bit tricky. its a bit crowded under there. it took me a week of struggling, busted knuckles, fits of anger, a sprained ankle, and about 100 bucks to change the rear main seal.

ok sorry off to my point. the latest problem or at least i think its a problem in development, has been occuring since janurary. i hear a clicking sound from the undercarriage. it almost sounds like the u-joints from the driveshaft, but im thinking more likely that its from the front axles. any ideas on how to find out for sure? and what can i expect this to set me back?

it does. sorry i forgot to mention that. also, i have checked for wheel bearing failure using the 12/6 method and its nice and tight. both front brake calipers are secured. brake pads are in good shape and wearing evenly. there is no clicking when i rotate the wheels though. this is why i am scratching my head. the u joints on the shafts are greased. i think i even greased the front u joints. i think......

oh and before i forget...........or maybe i should post a new thread.......

the head gasket blew on me a few months back, and i took it to a shop to get taken care of. now, when i got it back, it stopped leaking oil, but now its leaking again. the head was checked out, and was not warped at all, and the head bolts were replaced.( i got all the old parts back- yes i marked them) its still leaking from somewhere.
you know, maybe i should start a new thread........im getting oil on the air filter as well. and not just a few drops either! the filter is soaked!

I wouldnt be suprised if the clicking was a driveshaft related problem. Im not sure about your gasket problem. Personally i would just get a new gasket and put a bunch of gasket goop on there as well, but if you trust the person who worked on it then it could be something else.

First off. Welcome to NAXJA. These issues have been covered many many times. Remember we do have a search button that has helped me tremendously. Here are just a couple ideas on your issues. You do not say were the oil leak is coming from? The three major oil leak issues on alot of Jeeps are
1. valve cover
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=961156&highlight=valve+cover+gasket

2.rear main seal
you did that one already

3.oil filter adaptor o-rings
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=82887&highlight=oil+filter+adaptor

then your oil on air filter issue
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=33985&highlight=valvecover+blowby

there are many many more threads on each of these issues but these may get you started. enjoy

a worn axle u-joint is easy to find. get under the jeep and inspect the axles. get your hands in there and move it around. the 2 parts SHOULD NOT have any movement independant of eachother. when they wear out they often throw "rust dust" on the areas closest to them the metal wears down into a powder and it rusts quickly. try it with 2 screwdrivers in case its still in its early stages or wear.

as far as the head gasket.. it generally wont leak oil extrernally (but i didnt say never) the oil passages between the block and head arent pressurized they are simply drain holes. if you have oil on the engine it can be difficult to trace but i'd start at the valve cover gasket. they make a big mess when the gasket isnt seated properly. get in there and clean the wet areas with a few cans of brake parts cleaner, this will remove all built up residue, and then start checking those area after you take a ride.

ive checked the axle again, and my wife stood outside to the car while i drove by. she did say it sounds closer to the front driver side. im thinking its the front drive shaft. something i forgot to mention is that when im driving down the highway, the sound is more prominent when i coast. once i give it more gas, it fades away.

one more thing on the oil problem, is that i noticed that the oil pressure guage is fluctuating . it wont stay at 60. i wonder if this is any indication of pressure loss in the oil system

hombremosqa said:
ive checked the axle again, and my wife stood outside to the car while i drove by. she did say it sounds closer to the front driver side. im thinking its the front drive shaft. something i forgot to mention is that when im driving down the highway, the sound is more prominent when i coast. once i give it more gas, it fades away.

one more thing on the oil problem, is that i noticed that the oil pressure guage is fluctuating . it wont stay at 60. i wonder if this is any indication of pressure loss in the oil system

Check your oil pressure sender

ok, so i got the u joint fixed, turned out being the front driver side joint. it was completely GONE. the guy who sold me the jeep must have known it was going out. ......

on another note, i have something else to fix now. the instrument lights are turning off when i turn the lights on. this includes the radio. any ideas?

Back