• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coyote Lake (Western Sierras) Labor Day weekend

Oatmeal

NAXJA Forum User
We're doing our annual trip to Coyote Lake over the Labor Day weekend. Leaving here on Friday 8/29 and coming back on Sunday 8/31 (to avoid the holiday traffic) If you're not familiar with the trail, I would rate it a 4+ (on a scale of 1-5) with great camping, fishing and hiking at trails end (you come out the same way you came in) I would recommend 33s and at least a rear locker as it does have a few technical sections but, the lake at the end (Coyote....duh!) is well worth the effort. Anyway, if anyone is interested let me know and I'll post up a meeting place and time and oh, we'll all be in Toyotas so, if that isn't a problem come along! Those of you that have wheeled with me, know my Toyota gets along well with XJs :).......my XJ is nowhere near ready for this trail......maybe next year.---------Hans

Oatmeal said:
We're doing our annual trip to Coyote Lake over the Labor Day weekend. Leaving here on Friday 8/29 and coming back on Sunday 8/31 (to avoid the holiday traffic) If you're not familiar with the trail, I would rate it a 4+ (on a scale of 1-5) with great camping, fishing and hiking at trails end (you come out the same way you came in) I would recommend 33s and at least a rear locker as it does have a few technical sections but, the lake at the end (Coyote....duh!) is well worth the effort. Anyway, if anyone is interested let me know and I'll post up a meeting place and time and oh, we'll all be in Toyotas so, if that isn't a problem come along! Those of you that have wheeled with me, know my Toyota gets along well with XJs :).......my XJ is nowhere near ready for this trail......maybe next year.---------Hans
if i go will you cut me a great deal on that d44?? hahah j/k. wish i could go. Have Fun...Take Pics:peace:

Well, you guys missed a pretty good trip (it's not the whole Toyota thing, is it :dunno: ) Anyway, we didn't make it into Coyote and ended up camping at Red instead.....my brother blew a front axle CV in his Tacoma and we forgot to pack the spares...doh! Solid axle swap coming soon.....he's had it! We did get in plenty of good wheeling though....the trail's considerably rougher (better :D) than last year and I managed to get my Toyota almost completely verticle on the way out (I was towing a trailer) getting by some of the incoming traffic...man, I've never seen it so crowded up there! The best thing about the whole trip was, there wasn't a single mosquito in sight! The worst......waking up with a massive Tequila hangover on the morning we had to pack up and head out.......I'm never doing that again! Anyway, I hope you all had a great holiday!--------Hans

Last edited:
Let's see some pics! Yodas or not!
Here's some of mine from the Red Lakes area.
DSC01729.jpg

West Lake
100_1540.jpg

Strawberry Lake
100_1543.jpg

I'm the only one here
100_1544.jpg

DSC01759.jpg

Been watching that tree split that rock over the years
100_1545.jpg

The trail sign down to Mirror Lake

Oatmeal said:

hey sounds like a fun trip! get to wheel and fish, cant get much better than that! lol.. but how far of a drive is it to where you go from covina? thanks, alek

RobertF said:
Let's see some pics! Yodas or not!
Here's some of mine from the Red Lakes area.
DSC01729.jpg

West Lake
100_1540.jpg

Strawberry Lake
100_1543.jpg

I'm the only one here
100_1544.jpg

DSC01759.jpg

Been watching that tree split that rock over the years
100_1545.jpg

The trail sign down to Mirror Lake
I'm such an idiot, I packed my camera but, never took a shot! Someone in our group took pics, if I can get a hold of some and figure out how, I'll post them up.......I'm really computer stupid:dunno:
alek21 said:
hey sounds like a fun trip! get to wheel and fish, cant get much better than that! lol.. but how far of a drive is it to where you go from covina? thanks, alek
Let's see it's about 5-6 hrs to Shaver Lake, another 1-1 1/2 hrs to the trail head and about 1-1 1/2 hrs of wheeling to Red Lake another 1 1/2-2 hrs more to Coyote.......it's a full day! My brother broke just past the gate on the trail from Red to Coyote. It's probably the toughest part of the trail (and the spot to spectate and heckle :D) Hey, we go every year (going on 21 now!) so, come along next time!......maybe I'll have my XJ ready by then.----------Hans

Oatmeal said:
(it's not the whole Toyota thing, is it :dunno: ) Hans

No, I think it's the whole "not the sierra chapter" thing. This is SoCal. I'm in SO SO Cal. So it's like almost 7 hours to the trailhead for me.

No thanks :D.

Looks pretty though! Thanks for posting pics. Love the sign.

mikedashg said:
No, I think it's the whole "not the sierra chapter" thing. This is SoCal. I'm in SO SO Cal. So it's like almost 7 hours to the trailhead for me.

Wouldn't you be interested in thread/pics of your SoCal buddies if they went to the Rubicon? and how many hours would that be? Shouldn't matter if it's a SoCal group.

RobertF said:
Wouldn't you be interested in thread/pics of your SoCal buddies if they went to the Rubicon? and how many hours would that be? Shouldn't matter if it's a SoCal group.

I never said I wasn't interested. I am. That's why I read the thread. It doesn't matter that it's in the SoCal thread. I think it's cool that it's here (as well?).

But he asked "where everybody was" and I think the answer was "it's a a bit of a drive" for a lot of people in the SoCal chapter. Especially with a Moab trip coming up and gas prices these days.

Let's see it's about 5-6 hrs to Shaver Lake, another 1-1 1/2 hrs to the trail head and about 1-1 1/2 hrs of wheeling to Red Lake another 1 1/2-2 hrs more to Coyote.......it's a full day! My brother broke just past the gate on the trail from Red to Coyote. It's probably the toughest part of the trail (and the spot to spectate and heckle :D) Hey, we go every year (going on 21 now!) so, come along next time!......maybe I'll have my XJ ready by then.----------Hans[/QUOTE]

thanks i might have to!!.. i go up to mammoth every year with my family,, and my uncle and his friend bring their jeeps,, but we havent been able to find any good places to wheel yet, mostly fish our buts off!! haha,

Back