• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

First trail ride, now Notchy Steering

northernxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 01 xj with about 65,000 miles on it. I went and did some trail riding yesterday. I used 4 lo on a mild rocky hill climb. I was doing a little turning of the wheel to maneuver around some bigger rocks. I got to the end of the trail and pulled onto the highway. When doing so, my steering felt notchy, when you would turn you'd feel it a bit, you can really feel it in the steering wheel when returning the wheel to its straight, at rest position. Any ideas what I should look, components that could cause this? It rides fine straight, only when turning does the wheel seem to move in a less fluid motion.
Thanks in advance,
Stephen

Put it back in 2wd before you break something. Sometimes they stick in 4wd hi, sometimes its the linkage, sometimes rolling in reverse helps, and sometimes putting the tranny in neutral while rolling and then putting the t-case selector in 2wd works.

The NP 231 is not designed to be used on the pavement in 4wd.

I was not in 4wd on pavement, I am aware of that, I try not to even turn sharply in 4wd because of binding and what not. I was in 4wd for a short bit on a hill climb. I put in 2wd after the climb for the remainder of the trail. There is a bit of shaking in the wheel when turned during acceleration.
Thanks,
Stephen

check:

steering box bolts / mount area
TRE's
wheel unit bearings

did you have any hard landings on the front end?

maybe bent the tie rod on something and your alignment is off?

northernxj said:
I was not in 4wd on pavement, I am aware of that, I try not to even turn sharply in 4wd because of binding and what not. I was in 4wd for a short bit on a hill climb. I put in 2wd after the climb for the remainder of the trail. There is a bit of shaking in the wheel when turned during acceleration.
Thanks,
Stephen
Make sure it in fact did come out of 4wd, I've had mine stick a couple of times from the linkage sticking, one of the reasons I get under there with a good synthetic spray lube 2-4 times a year and spray the heck out if it.
If thats not it you might want to lift the front up and wiggle the tires a bit so see if there is any play in there.

I am pretty sure it is out of 4wd, I drove home last night, went for a ride, and also drove through town on my way to class this morning and there was no binding. It feels like slight shuddering in the steering wheel. It does not return to center smoothly, it seems to be notchy or shudder slightly back into place. The front end did not slam. I am stumped because I did not even wheel hard, it was all slow and cautious. Could flexing and climbing with stock setup cause bending or problems? This trail is pretty mild, I was just stock with weak tires so I went slow in 4 low. Thanks again

northernxj said:
I am pretty sure it is out of 4wd, I drove home last night, went for a ride, and also drove through town on my way to class this morning and there was no binding. It feels like slight shuddering in the steering wheel. It does not return to center smoothly, it seems to be notchy or shudder slightly back into place. The front end did not slam. I am stumped because I did not even wheel hard, it was all slow and cautious. Could flexing and climbing with stock setup cause bending or problems? This trail is pretty mild, I was just stock with weak tires so I went slow in 4 low. Thanks again

ok...this description makes me think a bad ujoint

If there was any water or mud involved I'd also be looking for mud clumps on the wheels screwing up the balance. Next I'd look at my wheels and check the lug nuts, air pressure, etc.

I stopped by the shop and talked to someone. They mentioned that it was probably universal joints up front from being activated using 4wd and are now sticking because they were most likely going bad. Does this sound right? Thanks for all the help guys.

northernxj said:
I stopped by the shop and talked to someone. They mentioned that it was probably universal joints up front from being activated using 4wd and are now sticking because they were most likely going bad. Does this sound right? Thanks for all the help guys.

i think those u joints are always moving. however, was 4x4 used much in this xj?

Universal joints

I got underneath the Jeep and there was some play in the universal joints. New ones are going in on Friday. Thanks for the help.

Re: Universal joints

I've got the exact same thing going on here. At first it was very mild only noticing it when turning very sharp. I passed it off as the play in the hyme joint on my track bar (aftermarket). Now it's seems to be slowly getting worse. I lifted for front end off the ground to check for play in the unit bearings, and there is just a slight amount in both. Should there be any? I would think no, but wanted to be for sure before I go dropping a pair of bills on two of them.

Front axle universal joints?

Using the 4wd could have stressed the failing ujoints...sort of what happened to mine! Used 4wd then had severe ujoint binding and "notchy" steering. The needle bearings were entirely dry though so they needed to be replaced anyway! Using 4wd just sped up the process of them ultimately failing completely.

I'd say check the universal joints for play by hand, and then jack up the front axle, put it on jackstands, and turn the wheels while spinning them.......see if you notice any binding in the joints.

Re: Universal joints

scoobyxj said:
I lifted for front end off the ground to check for play in the unit bearings, and there is just a slight amount in both. Should there be any?

Nope, they should show no discernable play.

Sound likes it is time to replace them.

Rev

Back