• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Half Doors Input

Reichy

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I have done research, looked at other peoples ideas. Im just looking for some input about what people did or did not like about there half doors.

This is what I have done already but I can already tell I wont like it. Where the handle is Im not going to like that so it must change. What have you done that worked out great and works best? Thanks.

100_0226.jpg

100_0227.jpg

100_0228.jpg

I just cut the handle into a nub.There is just enough to get one finger on to give you the leverage to push on the button.

Its hard to see in the pics
HlfDoor17.sized.jpg

HlfDoor23.sized.jpg

If you did your research I'm sure you say the one guy who used flush mount Corvette handles on the top of the door.

here mine- have not yet installed them yet:

door2.jpg

dor3.jpg

dd2.jpg

I just need to do some mudwork and get snap in windows made. I left the frames on to keep them ridgid and so I can mount stock mirrors

Sweet. I will try that and I f that up, I have heard of people using a TJ latch? I also like how you guys kept the outside frame. Thanks.

A Tj outside door latch is pretty much the same thing as a 70's Vette.

Here is another set that shows a grab nub more clearly
door1.jpg

Dang, guess I missed the memo about keeping the frame around the outside.
:hang:

Those look good man.

Those are from somebody else here.I planned on having a piece of lexan to drop in the frame I left on.Since I no long have the Cherokee I sold my set.I will how ever need to make a new set when i finish my XMJ.

I currently just finished hacking up my doors today and am getting ready to start doing the sheet metal work. I contemplated on leaving the door frame but I think I'm going to take a different approach than what I've seen so far. I intend to drill two holes, one at each end of the door, one being above the door handle and on above the mirror. Then bending some small diameter tube to imitate the original window frame and make a canvas/plastic covering to go over the frame with a zipper window. Similar to that of a tj. This way I can easily store these in the jeep and if it looks like its gonna rain in a matter of seconds I'll have full doors.
Here's an illustration to help you picture it.

Untitled.jpg

I currently just finished hacking up my doors today and am getting ready to start doing the sheet metal work. I contemplated on leaving the door frame but I think I'm going to take a different approach than what I've seen so far. I intend to drill two holes, one at each end of the door, one being above the door handle and on above the mirror. Then bending some small diameter tube to imitate the original window frame and make a canvas/plastic covering to go over the frame with a zipper window. Similar to that of a tj. This way I can easily store these in the jeep and if it looks like its gonna rain in a matter of seconds I'll have full doors.
Here's an illustration to help you picture it.

Untitled.jpg

updates sir?

I haven't had the money I got laid off from work, but it looks like I may have found a new job so hopefully I'll get them going again. I have the doors and they're cut up but I have bought any materials for them yet. I am sorry to disappoint.

Since this is your first post I'll help you out but beware of the the search pirates.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=921410&highlight=doorless+mod
For future reference so you don't get reamed there is a forum search at the top right corner.
And let me be the first to welcome you to NAXJA where all of your XJ fantasies come true! (well maybe not all of them ;))

Back